Newbie would like to know....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Mallis

Reaction score
Hey how's it I'm tony, a future owner, and I'm no stranger to ford at all. I own an 89 mustang and a 92 exorer currently. Selling the stang and sadly my 228 k explorer in the future. My current lifestyle has a sport trac written all over it!! Now the year and everything else is what I would love to figure out right now.

I would like in my sport trac:

4x4

a/c lol

airbags

four discs if can

auto tranny

and wondering whether v8 or v6. My 4.0L pushrod now is just giving me nothing but love and care back.

Led tailights that loom soooooo sick!!

Best exhaust??

Any small lift kits for cheap

please and thank you for any suggestions.

Please and thank you for any suggestions or insights.

i like my cherry bomb exhaust

my 05 gen 1 has four wheel disc and airbags a/c

ive got LED bulbs in my tails... no idea what you are talking bout with loom...?

and my 4.0 beat my buddy's adrenalin =P

Gen1 = '01-'05

Gen2 = '07-'10

If a lift is of any importance, Gen1 will be your only option as the Gen2s cannot be lifted. If 4x4 for use other than snow, Gen1. Without trying to start an argument, if you go off road you'll want a Gen1.

If you want a V8, Gen2 only. Smoother, tighter, more comfortable ride, Gen2. If you need to tow, Gen 2.

From what I hear, Gen2 Sport Tracs have very little aftermarket products available. I wouldn't expect that to change, either, given that they've been canceled.

I love my '01 4x4. It took some time to find exactly what I wanted for the price I was willing to pay, but I found it after a couple months. Good luck in your search and I'm sure you'll love your choice as much as everyone on this site has.

I've owned an 03 Gen1, 08 Gen2 and a 2010 Gen2.

Stock for stock, a gen2 is better in every way. Even offroad.

The only reason to select a gen1 over a gen2, for me, would be if you're only satisfied with a large lifted sport trac.

I always thought it would be cool to own a gen2 Adrenalin and a gen1 lifted ST limited or adrenalin.

I can never agree that an independent rear suspension is as capable offroad as a solid axle. I'm not even satisfied with having a independent front suspension. You also will have less approach and exit angles without any lift. That is about as important as anything when offroad, if you like your body panels.

If offroad means wet grass or flat land, then I suppose maybe a Gen2 could somehow be more capable. I'm not sure how, though...maybe better tires?

I've owned both a Gen 1 and now a Gen 2. Agree with Hugh and Psycareyo.

4 wheels discs became standard in 2003.

Most Tracs are 4x4's. The 4x2's are mostly found in the Sunbelt.

All Tracs have airbags, all have A/C, all Gen 1's have the 4.0 SOHC motor and the vast majority are automatics.

The 4.0 SOHC is standard in the Gen 2 and a V8 is optional. All Gen 2's are automatics.

A 4.0 SOHC will smoke a 4.0 OHV like there's no tomorrow.

Exhaust, there are maybe three kits for a Gen 1, Gibson, Magnaflow (I think), and Heartthrob. AFAIK, the only kit for a Gen 2 is from Gibson. Mine was a slam-dunk to install. Otherwise you're looking at custom bent.

A small lift kit for cheap basically means a 1.5" torsion bar twist in the front (and alignment) and Warrior shackles for the rear (about $60).

Latest posts