No 4x4 auto

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This could have something to do with the junk yard differential going out. On my door jam the build date is 08/06 but I just called a dealership and gave them my vin # and was told the build date is 03/07. If I am not mistaking that takes a different differential, from what I was asked at the junk yard.

Unless the gear ratio was wrong they are essentially the same differential. Only difference is the earlier one has 1 bolt in the front by the driveshaft and the later ones have 2. If yours was different you should have clearly seen that. Maybe the JY rear was crap but you have to check everything to be sure.

did you confirm the new rear is blown ???

Dr asked me to take it easy for 2 weeks so i went and looked in old differential and it looks like a piece of axle broke off. I don't remember seeing a lock ring on driver side axle. Piece almost 1" thick and has the ridges like the axle and is round. Tried posting pic but keep getting error msg on size.

Pics of piece that came out of rear differential
brokenshaftL.jpg
brokenshaftS.jpg

Well there ya go.... SO its a bad axle, Not rear or driveshaft then??

Well there ya go.... SO its a bad axle, Not rear or driveshaft then??

Will hopefully change out axle Friday, but carrier bearing rubber is gone so either I need it replaced or a driveshaft. If you still have info on that driveshaft delivered for $479 I would appreciate the info.

Ok truck drives now?

Not on 4x4. There is a rubber boot inside the shaft that if you try to separate it and damage it you can’t put it back together properly. I want to get my hands on a complete unit so I can try and test parts that we have here to make one. Only option is to spend the money and replace the whole driveshaft.
we use Colorado Drive Shaft as they seem to be the best one and cheapest out there

Not on 4x4. There is a rubber boot inside the shaft that if you try to separate it and damage it you can’t put it back together properly. I want to get my hands on a complete unit so I can try and test parts that we have here to make one. Only option is to spend the money and replace the whole driveshaft.
we use Colorado Drive Shaft as they seem to be the best one and cheapest out there

Was asking since a shop here says they can but don't want to pull it and be without my truck and then they can't repair it. It just seems odd that it can't be pulled somehow since it was assembled. Have other questions for you as far as upgrades. I want to add power leather seats, heated if possible. Wondering if wiring is there or will I need to get it out of a truck?

it can be taken apart, its just if they damage anything you cant get the parts..... that's why I want to get one ( Stupid me threw out mine) and make a kit to fix them. any way,

With Ford its a 50/50 shot the wires are there.... have to raise your seat and move it all the way forward and dig from the back under the carpet for the plug. also have to check the fuse box for the fuse and see if it has BOTH contacts in there....

Or you just run your own...

Ok, cool, getting her back in shape !!

That's good to know.... :) Thanks

Latest posts