No 4x4 auto

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you get the axles to release from the TC? I have sprayed them with WD40 and let it sit, then tried a hammer and bar to knock it back and it will not separate.

Big ass sledge hammer and hit it close to where the bolts where . Drive shafts get stuck over time. Just don’t hit it right on the bolt ear , it may break

Ford for life

Have to bash the dam thing with a hammer but you will damage it...... Test the rear driveshaft your description sounds like that broike the CV internals.

From what I remember ( gen 1 really) the chain was only for the front... Not the rear.... ITs always turning but its not activated until you lock the front... The rear was a direct shaft through the T case.

I knew it wasn't the T case... the only good thing is the 3:55 v8 rear end is such a boat anchor that junk yards give them away as nobody wants them.... they all want the 3:73 v6 rear.... LOL.... So its an easy cheep repair.... Unless like me you upgrade gears and install a LSD... :)

I knew it wasn't the T case... the only good thing is the 3:55 v8 rear end is such a boat anchor that junk yards give them away as nobody wants them.... they all want the 3:73 v6 rear.... LOL.... So its an easy cheep repair.... Unless like me you upgrade gears and install a LSD... :)

I plan on rebuilding the old 1 since they didn't want a core and put the LSD in it. Is it true also that the carrier bearing on the rear shaft can't be replaced? P/u part today about to tear it down and install. Praying I can get spare tire to come down after I had to go find 1 in junkyard out of a gen1. :cool:

Well I turned but spare tire never moved so I moved forward. Old differential/carrier is out axles game me hell getting out but about 2 hours later they were out and plan to put it back together tomorrow. Not sure what is broken inside but I did here something rolling around.

Well I turned but spare tire never moved so I moved forward. Old differential/carrier is out axles game me hell getting out but about 2 hours later they were out and plan to put it back together tomorrow. Not sure what is broken inside but I did here something rolling around.

Ok keep us posted on the progress. Yes the driveshaft carrier is not serviceable.... you have to replace the whole shaft.... Some places have a trick to doing it but if you mess up the boot on the shaft your screwed.... Colorado drive shaft is the cheapest and good at $475 delivered.

Yesterday was a beautiful day rain stopped and I was able to put rear differential in tires are back on and doesn't roll away. I will test drive today...

I put anti-seize on shaft connections to TC to make job easier in future and I will be buying a new rear shaft since they want like $600+ for a used one. Also have to start or search on spare tire removal since mine didn't budge and hopefully the tool from a Gen 1 works since mine was missing and had to get 1 from junkyard...

ok glad your on your way !!

Ok took it out today rolling fine and after about maybe 15-20 Mike's it's doing the same thing. No 4x4 auto engine just revs up. Is it just a bad differential I go or something else I should consider...

I’m definitely confused because I thought you just replace the rear end ??

I’m definitely confused because I thought you just replace the rear end ??

Yes I got 1 from junkyard fluid that was in it was clean but went for a drive today and on freeway 4x4 auto stopped working had to put it in 4x4 high to kick in front wheels. Put fluid in until it poured out.

You def have a bad rear suspension component. Either drive shaft, axle shaft, or rear. You have to properly diagnose and repair. Definitely missing something.

Rubber on drive shaft carrier is worn out so yes ordering new 1 but would that make a rear diff go bad that fast? The drive shafts looked good, you could still see the lines on the splines that go into differential.

Unfortunately I don’t know. But are you 100% sure the junk yard rear is blown??? Did you test the driveshaft CV head?? Not the carrier bearing.
Did you remove the drive shaft and verify what’s bad now?? Over the internet it’s hard to help with stuff like this.

Unfortunately I don’t know. But are you 100% sure the junk yard rear is blown??? Did you test the driveshaft CV head?? Not the carrier bearing.
Did you remove the drive shaft and verify what’s bad now?? Over the internet it’s hard to help with stuff like this.

Just happened yesterday so no I haven't had a chance to take anything apart. Doctor asked me to take it easy for 2 weeks so my knee can heal. I'll jack it up after work and see what is going on. t/u

Latest posts