No 4x4 No Click

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk10s

Reaction score
2002 Sport Trac. Suddenly, no 4x4 and no click when trying to engage. Cleaned all the contacts, added a little dielectric grease and replaced control module with Motorcraft. Didn't solve the problem. Transfer case motor replaced last spring. Now what?

Update: I've been going crazy thinking about what the problem could be. Even got stuck in the snow in WI while the 4x4 was out. These trucks are so light in the back. Read a million forum entries....One of them on a regular Explorer forum suggested disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a bit to "reset" the module? Did the trick for this '02 Sport Trac!!! Special thanks to Dillard000 for the guidance!!

Back to the drawing board. So frustrated. 4x4 worked for 2 days after disconnecting and re-connecting the negative terminal on the battery. Now back to square one. Any ideas?????

Does sound like you've got a weak\failing ShiftMotor.
As others have said, a new part does not equate to a working part.
There's just little to no quality control done by manufacturers\vendors these days.
Could try adjusting the ShiftMotor rotary LimitSwitch; the 3 screws with slotted holes.

Your info has been so help full to me and others over the years as with other members, taking the time to respond and help so yea the bomb does fit.

Just returning favors done for me.

If you already replaced the 4x4 computer module, could it be the selector switch on the dash?

Be sure to excercise that new ShiftMotor thru 2WH-4WH-4WL & back every couple of weeks briefly tokeep it from getting stove up between times that you really need it.

@bk10s, hey where did I get ur transfer case motor? I’ve got a ‘02 also and need to replace mine. Also, about how long did it take you to swap? Thx, Randy

Hi Randy - It took me about 25 minutes to replace. It would have been 15, but one of the screws dropped out and I couldn't find it.....ANYWHERE. I looked everywhere. It was attached to the magnet of my Milwaukee M-12 flashlight!!! I got the Dorman motor for $102 on Amazon. The Ultra-Power unit that I used when I replaced the original only lasted 2 years. I also replaced the control module with a Motorcraft, but the one I had was good so now I have a spare. Let me know if you need one! Replacing the motor is a very simple and straightforward procedure that involves 4 bolts and a plastic electrical plug.

I just bought the same one on Amazon (Dorman) for like 102 or 103 bucks. My build date for my ‘02 Trac is 12/01, so I believe mine should have the round electrical harness end. Seems like build dates after 1/31/2002 have the square harness end. Anyway, the transfer case motor and new headlight bulbs (one blew out the inter day) will be here Friday. Here’s hoping all goes well! Be safe. Randy

Latest posts