No battery run down protection

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is posible to get a bad battery. My ex's '08 escape battery went bad in the first year.

Get it charged and have it load tested.

So you had the key on playing the battery and the battery went dead....what did you expect to happen, I mean it's possible that the battery was weak but there isn't a vehcile out there there will shut off if the key is turned on and the battery gets weak enough that it won't start the vehicle...think of the lawsuits.

I still have the battery that came in my truck that i got in 03. Now that i say that I will have to get a new one this weekend!

Not a moment too soon, I'd be surprised if your battery has many days left as it is. Batteries suck.

BTW, how long did you have the stereo on for, out of curiosity, as it should take forever and a day to suck that battery dry with just the stereo @ moderate volume, right?

your truck comes with a 650 amp battery with run down protection

But, what kind of run down protection? My understanding is that some battery rundown protection systems worked by shutting off the dome lights or headlights, not by shutting off the 12v accessories or monitoring battery voltage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've left interior lights on in mine and they go out after a while on their own. Maybe with the key on for the radio it doesn't cut off automatically.

Fords will turn off various things if left on but only if the key is out of the ignition, if the key is either in the ignition or if it is turned on then all the normal rules apply.

Jeff, time to "fess up" here. Did you have the key in the RUN position? So that the warning chime didn't annoy you when you left the doors open? This will suck the damn battery dry in short order, as all operating electrical systems are activated (fuel pumps, ECM, TCM, fan in dash, lights (assorted), air bag sensors, etc. You get the idea. ACCESSORY position will allow you to play the radio, put windows up/down, etc. But the main electrical stuff will not be turned on. JMHO, BC

l1tech is correct. The battery protection only applies to leaving lights on or some accessory sucking on the battery when the key is off. If you turn the key on, you are overriding the battery saving feature.

I must admit though that I have had my battery go dead on my 2001 Sport Trac when I thought my wife left the lights on. I later found out that there was a problem with insufficient slack in the multiswitch connector wiring harness in the steering column that was preventing the vehicle from starting. Ford replaced the connector.

Finally with 11 miles left on the 3yr/36K mile warranty, the battery went dead and Ford gave me a brand new battery.

...Rich

Another thing to note is that accessories that are installed after the vehicle was made will not be turned off becasue they are not wired into the vehicles GEM. It's the Gem module that turns off any left on accessories when the key is removed from the ignition.

Yes - I'll fess up - the key was in the on position. I probably had the radio on for 6 hrs? Moderate volume. Working on the front porch and wanted to hear the satellite radio Classic Rewind commercial free - can't stand commercials. Battery was fine after plugging in the charger for a while.

Latest posts