No Cats

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Keller

Reaction score
Has anybody taken off all the cats on the exhaust and run straight pipes from the headers --> muffler --> tip? I was looking under the ST today and i saw what looked like 2 smaller cats and 1 bigger one and i was just wondering if anyone was ever done this. I live in GA, would it make me fail emissions?

You should have 2 pre-cats and 2 as you're naming it, bigger cats. I've heard that people have passed inspection since they still had the 2 regular cats and passed. But this varies a lot state to state.

You'd fail. The two smaller cats are called pre-cats, they work until the larger one warms up. (Well, they work all the time but you get what I mean.) This is why older cars using older emissions tests with the sniffer wouldn't pass until warmed up.

I've been told that if you use the Random Tech Y-pipe which eliminates the pre-cats, it will still pass.

I have to get tested every year in my county in PA. Some counties here do not have to be tested because as we know, dirty air stops at the county line. :rolleyes: