No. Central Wa. state, owner of 2001 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have almost 200,000 miles on my 2001 Sport Trac. It has been the best vehicle I have ever owned, esp. with the driving conditions in my area (snow, ice, freezing rain, summer heat, etc.). It goes thru almost anything the road throws at it and remains stable and tight, no rattles, no weird transmission or engine issues. 4WD is a must, and I love being able to switch it on and off from inside the truck. Still gets 16-20 mpg. and runs like a big Swiss watch. My husband just had a fender bender with it however, so I am in the process of dealing with the ins. co. as they want to total it. I want to repair it and continue driving it because its just so darn safe and comfortable.

Wecome to the forum.
Also got a 2001 ExST Job2; 240kMiles original engine+tranny; had it since 2002 & 10kMiles.
Truck has a few quirks, but so does the wife & I'm keeping her as long as possible too!
Live at 9kFt altitude, so winter driving reliability is a must.
Considering vehicle age & book value, have had just basic liability insurance for several years now.
Try to keep it clean & in mechanical shape; no desire for new, more complex, less reliable, high cost vehicle.
Please update thread on how IC negotiation & repair goes; which IC?
Good luck.

Last edited:
Wecome to the forum.
Also got a 2001 ExST Job2; 240kMiles original engine+tranny; had it since 2002 & 10kMiles.
Truck has a few quirks, but so does the wife & I'm keeping her as long as possible too!
Live at 9kFt altitude, so winter driving reliability is a must.
Considering vehicle age & book value, have had just basic liability insurance for several years now.
Try to keep it clean & in mechanical shape; no desire for new, more complex, less reliable, high cost vehicle.
Please update thread on how IC negotiation & repair goes; which IC?
Good luck.
Feel the same way about my husband. We live in the foothills of the E. Cascade Mtn. range about 60 air miles from Canadian border so its a gorgeous valley, but weather can be interesting. We have four definite seasons here.
Absolutely do NOT want a new truck with all the electronic gadgets, etc. My husband's 2005 Dodge 1 ton has had way more repairs than my Ford. Wish they made a small diesel engine for the Sport Trac though. Gas mileage isn't great, but the gas engine does have plenty of power. No need to wait for long straight stretches to pass. Getting it to the body repair shop today so will see what they say.

I want to repair it and continue driving it because its just so darn safe and comfortable.
That is the sad thing about ins companies today. After 10 or less years they want to total rides that are repairable:mad:. Knock on wood I want to keep my 2004 XLT Prem, as long as I can get repair parts. I might even try to McGyver some repairs..:)

Some parts are interchangeable with Rangers
Yep, much of the front half of
2001~2003 Rangers & 2001~2003 ExSTs
are quite similar\interchangable.
BackSeat, TruckBed, RearEnd of course are different animals.

That is the sad thing about ins companies today. After 10 or less years they want to total rides that are repairable:mad:. Knock on wood I want to keep my 2004 XLT Prem, as long as I can get repair parts. I might even try to McGyver some repairs..:)

Yep, much of the front half of
2001~2003 Rangers & 2001~2003 ExSTs
are quite similar\interchangable.
BackSeat, TruckBed, RearEnd of course are different animals.
I had a 1990 Ranger in very good condition that I sold in 2005 to a friend. Her daughter quickly hit a moose with it. Major front end damage. My friend's husband cut the front end off (at an angle) and replaced it with a Explorer front end. He was good at welding, etc. Was amazing work. For some reason, when ever I sell a car, they quickly get wrecked or damaged by a natural disaster. Don't buy a car from me!

IT sucks, But sometimes ya gotta let go, but if you can fix it then have at it. !

On the side yes. I also owned a bunch others and if you google me and the word sport trac a whole world of my life is out there. I test drove the Gen 2 for ford in CA and did news interviews, held meets and owned this website before the new owners for about 10 years or more. ;-)

I am wondering if you have any suggestions as to how to reinforce the front bumper on my 2001. It takes a lot of the hits (deer, fender benders, etc.) and it would be nice to have more between me and the road obstacles.

I have almost 200,000 miles on my 2001 Sport Trac. It has been the best vehicle I have ever owned, esp. with the driving conditions in my area (snow, ice, freezing rain, summer heat, etc.). It goes thru almost anything the road throws at it and remains stable and tight, no rattles, no weird transmission or engine issues. 4WD is a must, and I love being able to switch it on and off from inside the truck. Still gets 16-20 mpg. and runs like a big Swiss watch. My husband just had a fender bender with it however, so I am in the process of dealing with the ins. co. as they want to total it. I want to repair it and continue driving it because its just so darn safe and comfortable.
Welcome aboard.lots of great information here and great people with advise as I have found out.

Latest posts