no crank no start after inertia reset and battery change, using different key

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snave713

Reaction score
I have an 03 Sport Trac that wouldn't start until I reset the fuel inertia switch. It would crank but not start. I reset the switch and it started when jumped but the battery was dead. Replaced the battery and tried to start it but with a different key.

Now it won't crank at all even when jumped...

It's my landlord's rig and he's older so I am trying to fix for him. Everything looks fine with the truck, dash cluster is lit up, radio and blower work; headlights are nice and bright. But, the motor won't crank at all.

I asked him to find the other key and see if it'll work.

Maybe he fried the starter relay taking the battery out?

It could be the transponder needs to be the same as the one before changing the battery?

I did already try the put it in neutral trick. Did not work.

Theft light flashing regularly

I got nothing..

Any thoughts.

Last edited:
So, just for clarification, when you say "theft light flashing regularly" do you mean that it acts as normal and then goes out, or, it flashes 'regularly' (as in all the time) and doesn't stop?

Have you tried the first key? The second key might not be programmed to the truck.

sounds like a pats system, as blert mentioned the spare key is not programmed. cylinder lock will turn as it was cut to open the doors but will not start. i have two zip tied to underneath, but will not start the truck, just unlock in case i lose key, i have a programmed one hidden in the truck.