No more overheating problems - Yayyy

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally removed the e-fan, and replaced the t-stat housing today. Temp is now running around 188 - 190 degs.

Although I have no intention of going back to the e-fan. My question is: Would using a 180 deg. t-stat with the e-fan keep it from over heating? Just curious if that would work.

While I was in there, I took the time to clean the IAC & throttle body with CRC Throtle Body Cleaner. :cool::banana:

If it was overheating then no properly operating t-stat would work. Thermostats really just keep vehicles from operating too cold. I personally don't understand why people use 180 or lower t-stats because it has been proven that an engine will make more power when at proper operating temp.

I agree......

The only reason i used 180 and stuff in the older engines was to compisate for the over boring, or way higher cylinder temps produced.....

On our 4.0 there is no need for a 180 unless you start running NOS or S/C....

Todd Z

Actually, our engine was desinged to run at 190. According to all that I ever read on other sites, a cooler t-stat will actually just burn more fuel as the trac will constantly be trying to heat up to 190. T-stat should have little to do with overheating unless it's not working properly.

I did a search as this has been discussed in the past, but the pre 2006 search isn't working for me.