No reverse

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
My 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a 5R55E transmission had its first transmission issue today. I went to back up out of a parking spot. I put the truck in reverse, backed up about 2 inches, then heard a bang under the truck. No reverse. Wouldn't engage. All forward gears working normally. No leaks. No exterior damage. I'm thinking that the reverse band snapped. What do you think?

Lost my reverse last year. Had to find drive through spots or find drive in spots on a slope. Went to 3 shops and all would only do a complete rebuild on trans. Good luck with your fix.

Dave.:driving:

The band is probably broke. Mine was cracked, it would still go in reverse but at any throttle above idle it would shudder real bad. Had to have the trans rebuilt.

I have seen them in the past.... I have questions about them along the lines of shipping, return shipping and warranty handling...

Todd Z

Lost my reverse last year. Had to find drive through spots or find drive in spots on a slope. Went to 3 shops and all would only do a complete rebuild on trans. Good luck with your fix.

Dave.:driving:
My 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a 5R55E transmission had its first transmission issue today. I went to back up out of a parking spot. I put the truck in reverse, backed up about 2 inches, then heard a bang under the truck. No reverse. Wouldn't engage. All forward gears working normally. No leaks. No exterior damage. I'm thinking that the reverse band snapped. What do you think?
What did it end up being mine just did the same thing

Latest posts