Noise behind dash upon startup

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
'04 Trac w/about 70K. Upon startup, or even just turning the key to the position just before starting, I have been getting an intermittent sound that is increasing in frequency and length: "grinding" for a few seconds (or now more) before my tachometer would engage (the fuel, oil pressure, voltmeter, etc. also do not engage). It sounds like a cable is spinning and stripping; it eventually "catches", and tachometer, fuel, etc. come on line, but it is happening more and more, and lasting 5 - 10 seconds now. I have done a thorough search and cannot find any similar postings.

Thank you.

The only thing that comes to mind is that if the heater controls are still turned on is that maybe any left over vacuum from the vacuum booster tank is opening the heater duct swing valves behind the dash. I hear that frequently myself when I switch to the vent position immediately after starting the engine.

You might try making sure the controls are set to OFF before turning the key to see it that has any effect.

Can't relate it to the other things you mention though, like the tach or fuel gauge.

I can sorta relate. Does the trip meter go back to zero? I believe what it is your experiencing is a power loss to the gauge cluster. Does it make the same noise if you pull the cluster fuse? I had a fuel gauge problem and noticed the noise when I both removed and replaced the fuse and when I disconnected the cluster wiring harness(s).

Apologies for delay in reply, but after "taking apart/reassembling", my standard troubleshoot, it eventually decreased and disappeared. I'm sure it will reappear one day, did not really "fix" anything.

Thanks to repliers.

Latest posts