Noise under hood update (#4) '07 V8 LTD 4x4

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collin Lyon

Reaction score
Well, well, I made another surprise visit to the dealer just now . . .

Inspired by Gene in NC's reply yesterday, I wanted to see if the new transfer case was already on my Trac. Made up a story about getting my RV keys out of my console to get my fishing poles (RV is in storage a few miles from there).

When I walked out there (with the service guy RIGHT behind me), I found my Trac was now off the lift, but basically in the same spot. The bumper was now off, with the bumper next to the Trac. After I 'got my keys', I first looked at the back of the Trac, where the bumper was removed. Saw no obvious frame/structure damage. Then I looked at the bumper itself. Looked real close, and saw no dents/bumps, just the scraping where the paint & clearcoat was gone (the white paint from the other truck was cleaned up). Even looked on the inside of the bumper -- no visible dents or such. Now, the service guy said they are installing a new bumper, but it has to be painted, cured, etc. They cleaned up the white paint on my original bumper -- sounds like they might just be painting my original. We'll see. Maybe I can request my original bumper? Now, it gets better.

I asked him, "wow, you guys were able to move my Trac without the new transfer case -- you can do that?" Hopefully, not being too sarcastic. The service guy paused for a sec, then said, with a little stammer, "actually, we installed the new transfer case already". "hmmm, I thought it was going to take 4 days, even for express delivery, which would make it like next Monday, or Tuesday, right?" He responded, "well, we requested super-rush delivery. We got it late yesterday, and our tech worked until late last night on it."

GOT 'EM!! AND HE KNOWS IT!! WHAT A CROCK OF . . . well, you know.

He said again that the new bumper is supposed to come in today, and it has to be color-matched, and painted. Looks like this should be all done by Monday, maybe Tuesday, but I couldn't get him to commit to that (of course).

Thanks again Gene in NC for your insights. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this to be done Mon/Tue. Now I'm going to call the GM there to negotiate my "compensation".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FURTHER UPDATE -- Just got off the phone with the GM (10:05 PacTime) - he actually called me. Says that they were able to get the transfer case flown express, and was installed last night (he didn't know I was already there earlier this morning). However, there is still the slight ticking noise, and they believe it may have something to do with the transmission. A rep from Ford HQ is coming out to inspect this, to get to the bottom of this (perhaps on Monday). When he arrives, I'm supposed to get a phone call. Something's up boys & girls, why would a inspector/rep from Ford HQ come out for this? Or is it another "story"?

Meanwhile, he said my new bumper is now in, and that should be all done by the end of today. It was then I told him I was there earlier this morning, and the service guy said they still had to paint/cure it, and it wouldn't be finished up until "next week".

These guys should stick to ONE story . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
So the plot thickens...... Man, I hope they get you taken care of. And with all that they have put you through, I think it's possible that a Ford rep could be going to check out your trac. After all, they have been working on your trac for a while with very lil success.

Sounds like the crank trigger issue or the valve issue that the earlier motors had, Several people had the engine replaced....

Todd Z

By now I would demand a brand new Trac if there are STILL more issues. You have had WAY to many issues and haven't even had the darn thing that long.

You need a new trac. Too much deception going on here. Dealership cannot be trusted to stand behind their work. You don't want them working on it the next time when the new transfer case falls apart and the bumper cracks from improper mounting. If they won't give you a new trac, demand that FORD give you a free extended warranty.

Don't ever take your track back to that dealer again.

You have been royally screwed. Who knows what else they have done to your Trac.

I agree with Todd Z. Even some of the 3 valve Mustang motors, have had some valve train problems. I had thought from your first post, the dealer missed it. Document the days, time and conversations. Then hang em with their own words. Would have been good if you could have put a mark on the inside of the old bumper. Then you could see if it was really replaced.

I have had 2 cars damaged in my life at dealerships. They never used new parts. One tried to sneak the repair by me. I had to show them that a magnet wont stick to body filler. I never got either solved to my liking. I just turned them in to the BBB. They didnt care to resolve the BBB complaint either...