Normal Locking, Unlocking, Alarm Operation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeBot

Reaction score
My new-to-me '04 ST came with an aftermarket alarm 😒. The aftermarket system replaced whatever original key fob came with the car, so I only have the original ignition key and a generic looking lock and unlock key fob.

Unfortunately, the aftermarket system requires that you use its key fob to unlock the car, otherwise the alarm will go off. The key fob unlock button is also the only way to turn the alarm off. So if I just stick my key in the door and unlock the car the good old fashioned way, the alarm sounds and I have to mash the unlock button on the fob to kill it.

I'm nervous that the battery in the key fob will die or that the key fob could just break in general, leading to a situation where I can't unlock my ST without sounding the alarm and can't turn the alarm off if it goes on.

So! I'm going try to remove the whole aftermarket system and just leave myself with the regular old key-in-the-door maneuver to lock and unlock. I also have the driver side door code thing, but I need to go to the Ford dealer to find out what the code is. The seller didn't know it 🙄

All that to ask these:

What are the normal operations of the standard '04 ST key fob?

How does the standard alarm work (if there is one)? What are the situations where the alarm would go on (I've seen cars where locking the car from outside and then having someone inside open the door sounds the alarm. Should my ST do this?)?

What exactly does the driver door number code do (does it lock and unlock? Or just unlock?)?

Basically I'm just trying to get an understanding of what my ST should normally do locking/unlocking/alarm-wise so I can tell if I've successfully removed all the aftermarket components. Any help/advice is much appreciated!

Bot

My new-to-me '04 ST came with an aftermarket alarm 😒. The aftermarket system replaced whatever original key fob came with the car, so I only have the original ignition key and a generic looking lock and unlock key fob.

Unfortunately, the aftermarket system requires that you use its key fob to unlock the car, otherwise the alarm will go off. The key fob unlock button is also the only way to turn the alarm off. So if I just stick my key in the door and unlock the car the good old fashioned way, the alarm sounds and I have to mash the unlock button on the fob to kill it.

I'm nervous that the battery in the key fob will die or that the key fob could just break in general, leading to a situation where I can't unlock my ST without sounding the alarm and can't turn the alarm off if it goes on.

So! I'm going try to remove the whole aftermarket system and just leave myself with the regular old key-in-the-door maneuver to lock and unlock. I also have the driver side door code thing, but I need to go to the Ford dealer to find out what the code is. The seller didn't know it 🙄

All that to ask these:

What are the normal operations of the standard '04 ST key fob?

How does the standard alarm work (if there is one)? What are the situations where the alarm would go on (I've seen cars where locking the car from outside and then having someone inside open the door sounds the alarm. Should my ST do this?)?

What exactly does the driver door number code do (does it lock and unlock? Or just unlock?)?

Basically I'm just trying to get an understanding of what my ST should normally do locking/unlocking/alarm-wise so I can tell if I've successfully removed all the aftermarket components. Any help/advice is much appreciated!

Bot
Look up the stock FOBS on Amazon. Good price.
Just lock all doors by pushing lock button once, set alarm by pressing twice and horn honks. Once press for unlocking drivers door, twice for all doors. Then you have just the panic button that only goes off accidentally at 2 am and wakes the entire family while your undressing.
Hope that helps.
Amazon vs Dealer price is huge. Dealers parts person activated mine for free. Good time to get spare done as well if needed. Ive got 3 sets of everything. Just in case...
Cost me 100 bucks to get spare keys programmed because I only had one. 2 is needed for less expensive way to program a extra one.
Hope that helps. Goodluck.

Just lock all doors by pushing lock button once, set alarm by pressing twice and horn honks. Once press for unlocking drivers door, twice for all doors. Then you have just the panic button that only goes off accidentally at 2 am and wakes the entire family while your undressing.
Hope that helps.
Amazon vs Dealer price is huge. Dealers parts person activated mine for free. Good time to get spare done as well if needed. Ive got 3 sets of everything. Just in case...
Cost me 100 bucks to get spare keys programmed because I only had one. 2 is needed for less expensive way to program a extra one.
Very helpful, thank you! I'll check those fobs out on Amazon. It never occurred to me that you could buy replacements for them so easily.

Hope that helps.
also check iKeyless.com for keys and FOBS..they have new name but the old address will work ... great prices and support

also check iKeyless.com for keys and FOBS..they have new name but the old address will work ... great prices and support

Any alarm place will yank out that system and upgrade you or get you back to factory if you wish too..

Remove #10 fuse by steering column on the lower left. Remove the door then make sure it is#10 fuse. Then remove the glove box & look for white box & open it ,code is there or on tape on the back panel. Best I can do. The fuse is the air bag. When done make sure you replace the fuse.

Latest posts