Nube

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Nearhoof

Reaction score
Greetings. I am looking at buying a 2001 Sport Trac. It is a 5 speed v6 with 235000 miles. I took out a test drive and it seemed to do well. It had power was a solid runner gages read well.

My question is what do I need to be looking for before I buy? There no service records but it looks clean. seems that the A arms had the bushings replaced and over all only a few scratches in the body. I included a link of the truck I am looking at.

I own 3 mustang project cars all ready so I do not need this truck to become a project. I really like the truck and have a good feeling about it. The mileage worries me some and the timing chain cassette is another concern. I was also wondering if this engine has the Cats connected to the exhaust manifolds Thanks.

If it's been in PA long, it probably has rust under the grey cladding under the doors, frame and several other places. Check the spring shackles, if they haven't been replaced they'll need to be probably soon. Body mounts possibly shot plus all the usual items for a 16 yr old "wagon". Be sure to test the 4wd as well to make sure it engages. Listen for the timing chain rattle

Also check body mount bushings...

its great it has a manual, But if you can afford 2 more grand you can get a better truck.

Todd Z

That is high milage. I would be sure of the things the others spoke of. To be an '01, it has the second version 4.0L.

Be sure of the clutch also.

Im with Todd, $2K more should buy a newer and lower milage ST. '01 was the first year.

Latest posts