O2 sensor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray McIntireJr

Reaction score
I have an 01 that just turned over 94,000 and was wondering if it would be a good idea if I put a new rear O2 sensor in? I'm not getting any codes or anything just thinking it may be time to change that and maybe it might help with mpg's. Just not sure if it would be worth the $.

If I was doing that I would also do the y-pipe and high flow cat . . .. LOL. I had them on my 01 and loved them. Great extra power.

O2 sensors do get "lazy" but remain within specs. By that, they will not trip a code but not be as efficient as when they were new.

At 100,000 miles, in my opinion I do think it would be worth while. Slight MPG increase and better efficiency for the motor.

Ditto on what CJ said. I usually start thinking change them @ 70K. Dont buy some discount no name. Bosch or motorcraft is good.

I'd skip the rear sensor unless it throws a code, but changing the 2 front sensors probably wouldn't be a bad idea. The rear sensor simply verifies that the converter is operating, whereas the 2 front sensors are what control the air-fuel ratio. I had my rear sensor deleted when my custom tunes were written, so I never have to worry about that one.

Dan is right about that one.

The rear O2 sensor is used t monitor the operation of the converters. The "Upstream" sensors are used to monitor the engine operation, including air/fuel ratios which directly affects the gas mileage.

Changing the downstream sensors is not a bad idea, but IMO, a waste of money with little to no results for your investments.

Tom

Good point, I would agree with that. If you want to, you can pull the rear sensor and clean it with a wire brush by HAND. As in a hand held wire brush. Make sure it is clean as well as if it has oil or grease on it, it can easily affect it once you reinstall it.