O2 sensors when replacing the Y - pipe

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Heckler

Reaction score
Do the wires unclip or are they long enough to drop the pipe first to remove the O2 sensors? Just wondering what is the easiest way to disconnect them. I have all the nuts off and want to finish this tonight.

I would not put the weight of the old y-pipe on the sensor leads. You can reach the top sensor through the right front wheel well. Mark them so that as you un-screw them you can count how many turns. You will need to twist the sensors the correct number of turns before you re-install them so the leads are not twisted. I needed 4 turns to do this on mine. Good Luck...

Scott,

Follow what Les said, I agree you don't want to hang the pipe from the sensors and risk breaking them. You should be able to reach up and unscrew the top one through the wheel well.

Glad you received the gaskets and good luck with the rest of the install.

George

Thanks George - They were a bear to brake free but I managed. I just need to get the O2's off and then install the new stuff. I just picked up the new bolts for the cat back to connect to the cat from the dealer. So I "should" be good to finish tonight.

also would not hurt to put a little 02 sensor safe lube on the threads....

The one for the cat you can un clip and change outside the truck it is a lot easier that way....

Todd Z