Obama clinches nomination AP Press release

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank screwyourednecks

Reaction score
AP tally: Obama clinches Democratic nomination /Associated Press Writers

WASHINGTON - Barack Obama effectively clinched the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday after a grueling marathon, based on an Associated Press tally of convention delegates, becoming the first black candidate ever to lead his party into a fall campaign for the White House.

Campaigning on an insistent call for change, Obama outlasted former first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton in a historic race that sparked record turnout in primary after primary, and exposed an overwhelming distrust for the current Republican Presidential administration.

The tally was based on public declarations from delegates as well as from another 15 who have confirmed their intentions to the AP. It also included 11 delegates Obama was guaranteed as long as he gained 30 percent of the vote in South Dakota and Montana later in the day. It takes 2,118 delegates to clinch the nomination.

The 46-year-old first-term senator will face John McCain in the fall campaign to become the 44th president. The Arizona senator campaigned in Memphis during the day, and had no immediate reaction to Obama's victory.

Clinton stood ready to concede that her rival had amassed the delegates needed to triumph, according to officials in her campaign. They stressed that the New York senator did not intend to suspend or end her candidacy in a speech Tuesday night in New York. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they had not been authorized to divulge her plans.

Obama's triumph was fashioned on prodigious fundraising, meticulous organizing and his theme of change aimed at an electorate opposed to the Iraq war and worried about the economy — all harnessed to his own innate gifts as a campaigner. -AP

WELL I DO BELIEVE THAT HISTORY HAS BEEN MADE. CAN BARACK OBAMA WIN THE PRESIDENCY?? I THINK HE WILL. THE 28 PERCENT THAT SOMEHOW STILL APPROVE OF THE CURRENT REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT HAVE NOT THE CLOUT TO OVERCOME THE CALL FOR CHANGE. BETTER GET USED TO THE IDEA IF YOU ARE STILL IN BUSHLAND. -Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
The new USA Today/Gallup survey shows the Illinois senator with a 5 point advantage over McCain among likely voters, 49 percent to 44 percent. That margin is just outside the poll's 4 point margin of error, meaning Obama appears to hold a slight advantage over the Arizona senator with five months remaining until voters weigh in at the polls.

Les said:
There are plenty of people that don't approve of Bush that will vote for McCain...

And yet I suspect there are many more people that think a McCain presidency would simply be a third term for GWB.

Let's hope Ron Paul runs independent and he gets grass-roots support.

Boy I am getting a feeling of dej-vue when I gave up a vote for Perot in '90. He was better than the repub candidate and I couldn't see voting for a slick-talking democrat with little experience. That slick talker won the election, the country had a good four years, and then I voted for him in the next election; crossing party lines in the process (1st, last time).

I think it could all happen again...just like that, with Obama being that slick talker. And he will probably get credit for the next 8 years of prosperity too.

TJR

THE 28 PERCENT THAT SOMEHOW STILL APPROVE OF THE CURRENT REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT HAVE NOT THE CLOUT TO OVERCOME THE CALL FOR CHANGE. BETTER GET USED TO THE IDEA IF YOU ARE STILL IN BUSHLAND. -Frank

I think you're confused. Bush can't run for a third term, so no matter who wins, there will be change.

I disagree Nelson, if McCain wins there will be no change... I'm voting for the slick talker(as TJR refers to him) that in my opinion, has more of my best interest and the countries best interest at heart;)

Check out CNN.com, now Billary is willing to take a VP slot on a Barack Obama presdential ticket. Sounds like she's ready to concede...

Remember how the government works.

The president asks or tells congress what he wants. Congress says yes or no.

If congress does something the president doesn't like he can veto it. But if congress has the people to override the veto then it passes through congress.

So if you remember, a democratic congress was voted in to put things right against President Bush. But apparently most of congress likes what is being done or we would have had "change".

One more thing, if you look at the date the democrats took over congress you will see that the economy started going down shortly there after.

I'm not saying it is the democrats per say, I'm sure the republicans are fighting against a lot of what the democrats are trying to do.

Now don't bash me, I'm just putting my own observations out as food for thought.

I'm still totally undecided. I know I don't like McCain but I'm still not convinced Obama can handle the job. I believe in most respects Obama would be a better "ambassador" for the US but I'm also worried if he can get down and dirty when called for. Such as dealing with Islamic leaders. They view politeness and negotiations as a sign of weakness and will walk all over you if you let them. Say what you will about Bush and his politics but at least most Muslims are scared to death of him and that's a good thing.

ps. Unlike Frank and most liberals I don't think Obama sh*ts rainbows.

Last edited by a moderator:
If congress does something the president doesn't like he can veto it. But if congress has the people to override the veto then it passes through congress.

Of course, that requires a 2/3 majority in both houses.

IMHO, it's better for the Executive and Legislative branches to be controlled by different parties. It forces them to work together and cuts down on the poor quality legislation that gets passed.

Hey TomT>

I just posted the news sonny, wether you like it or not does not matter.

My advice to you is to consider what is facing our country. Its apparent that there may be a few, as you say "Muslims who need to fear us" still out there. But the economy, jobs, housing, the dollar vs the Euro, and our International standing, etc.. seem more important to me. (and anyone who is not out of touch)

I implore you to embrace the change that is happaning here in America. There is more to being a leader of the free world than terror "threats".

In my mind the pres is and always will be Powerless, are thank god to many cks and balances to overide what he or she aspires to do, the pres is not the end all be all.

Thats why I could care less who our next pres is.

I think hillery would have made a great leader of our country.

had she divorced willy after his many infidelitys, i believe she would have garnerd far more respect and the nomination by a landslide.

She stuck by her man only to advance her political agenda, you cannot repect a person that would do that JMO

Latest posts