Obama wins Nobel Peace prize!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Maurer 2

Reaction score
I'm amazed, and thinking that its nice to win, but does he deserve it? I don't think so- his record in world affairs is limited, and I think he may do great things, but this is premature at best and a little offensive at worst. Surely others are more deserving......

Yea, I think its way too early to give him a peace prize. He is getting it for changing the mood and ushering in peace. But wait, didn't he just send a whole slew of troops to Afghanistan? And isn't he spouting that we will continue to protect ourselves by whatever mean?

Doesn't exactly sound like peace.

But, I am sure that my comments wont help in the peace area either!

agreed...Did anyone see the article on MSN about this? Nominations were made two weeks after he took office. I can't really think of anything he did in 2 weeks to warrant a nomination, let alone the 9 months before the "winner" was announced. Maybe some day he will deserve one, but it's way too early.

And here's some irony: President Obama is awarded a "peace" prize on the same day that the U.S. bombs the moon!:lol:

Seriously though, when you look at past "awardees", this "prestigious" award has been reduced to a laughing stock and a worthless hunk of metal. Al Gore? Really? For what? Jimmy Carter (who is largely responsible for present-day Iran)? Yassir Arafat-a terrorist?

What has Obama actually achieved or accomplished to deserve this award? Zip.

"Very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said in a citation.

So he was awarded this thing based on hopes not achievements:rolleyes:

The achievements of all previous winners have been seriously diminished. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Excerpt from Associated Press . . .

The Norwegian Nobel Committee countered that it was trying "to promote what he stands for and the positive processes that have started now." It lauded the change in global mood wrought by Obama's calls for peace and cooperation, and praised his pledges to reduce the world stock of nuclear arms, ease American conflicts with Muslim nations and strengthen the U.S. role in combating climate change.

The peace prize was created partly to encourage ongoing peace efforts but Obama's efforts are at far earlier stages than past winners'. The Nobel committee acknowledged that they may not bear fruit at all.

"He got the prize because he has been able to change the international climate," Nobel Committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said. "Some people say, and I understand it, isn't it premature? Too early? Well, I'd say then that it could be too late to respond three years from now. It is now that we have the opportunity to respond all of us."

The selection to some extent reflects a trans-Atlantic divergence on Obama. In Europe and much of the world he is lionized for bringing the United States closer to mainstream global thinking on issues like climate change and multilateralism. At home, the picture is more complicated. As president, Obama is often criticized as he attempts to carry out his agenda drawing fire over a host of issues from government spending to health care to the conduct of the war in Afghanistan.

"He got the prize because he has been able to change the international climate," Nobel Committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said. "Some people say, and I understand it, isn't it premature? Too early? Well, I'd say then that it could be too late to respond three years from now. It is now that we have the opportunity to respond all of us."

In other words, the committed didn't give it to him for any actual accomplishments, but rather as a slap at his predecessor. What Jagland should've said was:

We didn't like George Bush. But we do like Barack Obama. We really, really like him!:wub:

I would kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Well, Yassir Arafat did just that (many, many times as a matter of fact), and Henry Kissinger was branded a warmonger for his support for the bombing campaign in Cambodia, and they both won the Nobel Peace Prize...:rolleyes:

I think that Train Trac is right -- I think that this is really just "We're so glad that you are President now and not George Bush. Here is a shiny medal and money for winning the election."

The Nobel Committee has always pushed an agenda.

Who were the others nominees?...Kim Jong ill and Achmood the nutjob from Iran?

Give me a break, this Nobel Peace prize has indeed turned into a piece of crap.

Might as well give him a Nobel prize for literature too.

and how about a Nobel for Science because he tell us to inflate our tires?!?

Reuters reported that Afghanistans Taliban mocked the choice, saying it was absurd to give it to Obama when he had ordered 21,000 extra troops to Afghanistan this year.

The Nobel prize for peace? Obama should have won the Nobel Prize for escalating violence and killing civilians, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told Reuters by telephone from an undisclosed location.

Hypocrite.

In the Middle East, chief Palestinian peace negotiator Saeb Erekat said the award could be a good omen for the region.

We hope that he will be able to achieve peace in the Middle East and achieve Israeli withdrawal to 1967 borders and establish an independent Palestinian state on 1967 borders, with Jerusalem as its capital, he told Reuters.

Why is it OBAMA's responsibility to achieve peace in the Middle East? Until the Palestinian and Isreali people can take responsibility for their own actions "Peace in the Middle East" is just a cute catch-phrase.

Latest posts