OBD codes-help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C W

Reaction score
I had the Overdrive light blinking. It went away after the truck was shut off. Then a few days later, the engine light came on, and has stayed on since.

I have not noticed any issues with performance or driveability.

I took it in and had a scanner hooked up. Three codes came back:

P0735--Gear 5 incorrect ratio

P0171--Lean bank 1

P0174--Lean bank 2

Any ideas what is going on with my Trac?? The place I went doesn't do trannies, but they thought the 735 code was transmission related. Possibly thought the other two codes were the O2 sensors.

Any feedback from the educated members on this board would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

The lean bank issue is a Hose. Here is where you need to look. (Most garages will tell you to change the o2's and that gets very expensive since there are 4 of them)..

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Yes change that hose !!!

Also I just did the complete Assembly ford sells on an 01 trac... Took 5 min to change, No tools needed at all...

Todd Z

Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely check that hose when I get home.

I'll probably still have to take it to the dealer regarding the Gear 5 code though?

Todd, didn't quite understand.. What assembly?

Thanks!

The hose from the dealer comes with 3 pieces, You cant just get the front elbow... You can use heater hose or something else, But not recomended...

As for the tranny... Disconnect the battery, change the elbow, and re connect it.. drive it , IF the light comes back on or the tranny feels funny, then imediately bring it back to the dealer..

Todd Z

I just checked, and my hose looks cracked too. Great advice guys!!

Todd, do you happen to know the part number of that hose assembly? I'd like to stop by Ford tomorrow and pick it up.

Thanks again for showing me where to look!!

CW, they will not stock it....

Also the tranny may act up if the MAF sensor sees a leak, So it all could be related...

Unfortunately I don't have the number on hand, But here is a pic, I cant make the number out, But the dealer may be able to find it from the pic...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

This site rocks!

I sent an email to Rusty at Spartan Lincoln Mercury over the weekend with a copy of this thread. He emailed me back this morning the part number.

I picked up the part at Hohlman Ford in Maple SHade this afternoon! It'll be installed when my wife gets home at 6.

Thanks all!

Hopefully that does it.

To clear the "check engine" light, I just need to disconnect the battery, correct?

Thanks to this site I was able to fix this same problem as pictured above. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and bought: “CURVED RADIATOR HOSE” part number (A)70001CS. It fit perfectly with absolutely no modifications at all and cost less than $5.00. My Trac is running better than ever. Be sure to buy the part first as your Trac won’t run without it. This can be done without tools however I had to use a utility knife to cut away the old hose. Also, because I have big hands then I removed the dust cover to allow me a little more room to work . Still, the whole process took less than 10 minutes not including travel time to the parts store.

Latest posts