Occasional E85 use ok?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
My 2001 Job 2 ST is 52 months old and has only 43500 miles on the odometer. :) I'd love to convert it to use E85, but I know it's not a simple project. If my fuel tank is a third or half full of 100% gasoline, would topping it off with E85 cause any harm? I'm talking every fifth or sixth "topping off," not every time.

As you can see, I average only 8400 miles a year. That means at times I'd have a tank of fuel that's essentially 50% ethanol sitting around for a few days. It could take as long as 10 days before I'd top it off again with 100% gasoline.

I suspect my fuel tank, pump, and lines would suffer grievous damage basking in 100 proof fuel for such a long time. I'd probably wake up some morning to find a garage floor covered in fuel. I also suspect that if I were on a road trip where I'd burn all that fuel up within eight hours, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Am I correct?

Mark

In your case, I would not do it...

Todd Z

You'll regret it if you do. Saving a few bucks at the pump is gonna cost you dearly in repairs later on.

From personal experience, the loss in gas mileage isn't worth the difference in price. I've run a couple of tanks of E85 in my 2001, and I've come out "equal" in fuel mileage vs. gas price.

If the price vs. mileage is break even, why not support farmers? Farmers are not prone to carrying out terrorist attacks against the U.S.

The Hawk. :cool:

AlSuperhawk, I don't get into the "politics" of E85, because that's a losing battle.

Energy-savings considered alone, E85 is a BAD idea. The ONLY reason it is being produced is the strong Iowa corn farmer's lobby. The use of E85 in our country doesn't reduce our dependency on foreign oil, and many have said it actually increases it (due to the production needs).

Oh, wait, I just got into the politics.

TJR

alsuperhawk: I'd support them IF my car was E85 compatible and IF the local E85 stations weren't price gouging and charging as much for E85 as I can buy regular 87 unleaded.

All I know is:

E85 comes from Corn and other domestic grains.

Petroleum predominately comes from Mid Eastern countries that best case scenario turn a blind eye to terrorists and right now have this country by the sack.

TJR, yes that ever dominate farm lobby. Good thing the oil producers got nothing like that. Oh, wait a minute... ;)

The Hawk

My point, Hawk, is that you might be supporting a farmer by buying E85, but in doing so, don't also assume you are NOT supporting a terrorist (indirectly) as there are studies that says it takes more crude to produce E85 than that needed for the fuel it displaces.

And, if that is true, than E85 is simply another government farm subsidy, and whether I buy it or not, the government will still subsidize the farmer in one way or another I suspect.

TJR