OD Light Flashing Intermittently

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelaTC

Reaction score
I searched the forum and I already know this indicates a problem with the transmission. I don't mind taking it in to the transmission shop, but will they be able to diagnose it if the light isn't flashing? I can't figure out what triggers it, and if I shut the engine off it stops. Should I buy a scanner, so I can have it at the ready and get a code before I take it in? (If so, is there a specific make/model that is better for Fords?)

Sorry if this sounds dumb. I hate dealing with mechanics. I usually prefer just to DIY to avoid people, but this isn't a DIY job, so any advice before I go in would be most appreciated.

I would research for a quality trans shop that can diagnose modern transmissions.
I know what you mean about DIY, that's me to. Somethings I have to bite the bullet.

I searched the forum and I already know this indicates a problem with the transmission. I don't mind taking it in to the transmission shop, but will they be able to diagnose it if the light isn't flashing? I can't figure out what triggers it, and if I shut the engine off it stops. Should I buy a scanner, so I can have it at the ready and get a code before I take it in? (If so, is there a specific make/model that is better for Fords?)

Sorry if this sounds dumb. I hate dealing with mechanics. I usually prefer just to DIY to avoid people, but this isn't a DIY job, so any advice before I go in would be most appreciated.
Yes, to work on your own vehicle, or at least have an idea of what's wrong before a shop screws you to the wall,
you need your own OBD2 scanner, one that reads both StandardSAE & ProprietaryFord codes.
The blinking OD OFF lamp indicates a TroubleCode for the Tranny is stored in the PCM (main computer).
This is a ProprietaryFord code; the typical free\cheap scanner at the PartStore will only read StandardSAE.
Trying to use the PartStore scanner to fix a vehicle sitting in your driveway is fairly impractical.
I have an OBDLink# MX+ BlueTooth scanner that works with my DroidPhon + several Apps ($100),
& an OBDLink# EX USB scanner that works with my WindowsPC + ForScan App ($50).
There are cheaper\lesser options & many more expensive options.
Good luck.

Latest posts