OD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Monroe

Reaction score
Does anyone in the great white north have a problem with their ST shifting into OD when its cold out. Mine takes about 5 minutes on the hwy to shift into OD. Suggestions?

No. No problems here. When was the last time it had a flush done to the tranny and also maybe the filter replaced? May be time to get it done if it hasn't been recent. Also, if it was done, make sure they used the correct fluid.;)

If the engine is still cold then it does this. (You start your truck, hop in and hit the highway). This is because the tranny fluids and the engine fluids are not at operating temp yet.

I replaced the filter and drained the pan in the fall. I'm using the recommended fluid. I figured it was just the temp, but I thought I would ask if anyone else noticed the same thing.

It doesn't get quite as cold here, usually, but every vehicle I've ever owned with an automatic took longer to upshift into every gear if the temp was about 10* or less, until it got warmed up.

I figured it was just the temp, but I thought I would ask if anyone else noticed the same thing.

My 01 and 03 ST did it when it was cold as well as my 05 F150, so yup, I have noticed it as well.

Yes, IT is a computer setting to help warm the exhaust and 02 sensors up so the emissions system starts working faster. It also warms the engine and helps the engine from being bogged down in the colder weather with a lower gear...

Todd Z