Oil Change Frequency

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Will someone please answer the eternal question???....I have a 2007 Trac with 83,000 miles on her and have religiously changed the oil with regular 5/30 oil every 3,000 miles. Is this still the rule???? (6 cyl)

Be well.

I change mine every 5000 miles with Motorcraft synthetic blend like the manual says. Works for me. I used to be an every 3000 mile changer.

I have a 2004 currently with 152,000 miles on it. I change my oil every 10,000 miles. But I use Royal Purple Full Syn 5w30. And I use the K/N filter. I even fill up with 6 quarts.

I've been doing 5000 miles on my vehicles for the last 8 years or so unless I'm towing my boat a lot in the summer, then I'll do it sooner.

Two years using the Mobil 1 Extended Performance with Mobil 1 filter. Changing between 12K and 15K miles. I pull waverunners in the summer, and an enclosed 6x12 for 3 weeks. I've had used oil analysis done and it's all within spec. 2-3 oil changes a year. Granted, it's $70 worth of oil and filter, but it's working.:driving:

If you use premium oil filters and full syn oil. Anything less than 8k miles is a waste of $$$ and oil. Unless you are racing.

Premium filters and syn-blend, 5K miles is good. Ford says 7500, though. If I was using straight dino oil. I might change it @ 3k.

I recently sent an oil sample to blackstone labs. K&N oil filter and full syn castrol @ 10k miles. Lab tech said all was well. To continue with the the 10k changes. Im a spirited driver, with Torries 93octane xcal3 tune. If anyone wants I will upload the lab results.

As my motor starts showing signs of wear I will shorten my oil changes. I plan on lab test every 30k miles.

If you got the $$$ and it makes you feel good go for 3k.......:driving:

"Is this still the rule????" What does your manual say? I bet it does not recommend oil changes that frequently. Can it hurt? No. Is it a waste? Depends on how you use the truck.

bo,

I believe the manual says 7500, with motorcraft 5-30. Which is syn-blend. There is also a section for severe duty. That calls for more frequent fluids changes.

I would classify severe duty as constant towing or hauling. everyday use in severe climates especialy high temps. IMO that would be the middle east of sorts. Maybe even includes severe cold.

Despite my spirited driving. I dont include my trac as severe use. At least not like the performance street cars I built. I did oil changes on them 4k to 5k. Even in the day before synthetics or blends. Sometimes 3k or less, if they saw alot of trac time on dino.

IMO, if you are not beating on it. 3k to 5k changes on modern motors. Is a waste of $$ and resources.

Fluids cost to darn much. To not use them to their full life potential. Modern motors that fail nowdays. Is not oil change related. Unless you never service it. Or related to part failure, non oil related. Except a bad oil pump. Or using the wrong oil, for the engine build clearances. Or the motor wasnt assy properly, and bad parts got past QC.

10K or one year (whichever comes first). Last change I used the Mobile 1 high mileage synthetic 10-30. This is becoming the norm for new vehicles. Wife just got a new car and the manual states 10K/1 year.

The OCI that most oil companies seem to agree upon is ONE YEAR year maximum oil life.

Mileage intervals vary from 3K to 25K (Amsoil Signature) depending on the vehicle's service.

IMO, replacing a quality oil filter when you change the oil seems just as important.

Every manufacturer has an OCI chart available on line, I linked Amsoil as an example.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to know for sure, a used-oil analysis is the best way to know how many more miles you can go between changes.

In my case there's no reason to do that, because I drive so little that I use a calendar instead of an odometer for my oil changes.

The removal of moisture from the crankcase via running the engine to "oil" operating temp is the key. Moisture causes sludge and that's the main reason for engine problems and failures.

The rule of thumb many moons ago was a min of 16 miles after start up would do the trick.. but it's surely less now.

For a general answer... if you drive like normal people do.. just go by the manual.. full syn is the best. go that route and you should have no problems.

New oils are much better than years ago.

dino = 3k~4K

syn blend = 5k~6K

full syn = 7K up but never over 10K

that's my chart... hope this will help

Brian B

I wrote up an article on the three tiers of AMSOIL synthetic oil and filters that you can find in the Projects section of this website. We have cost-effective solutions for whatever OCI you prefer - 5K, 10K, 25K or even longer with oil analysis. I've installed a Dual Remote Bypass Filter system (see article in Projects) on my 07 V6 Trac, so regular oil changes are a thing of the past for me. Whatever interval suits you, you can use our free online MyGarage to track your maintenance. Check it out - it's free!

Every 3000 miles is really too often to change with any oil these days, unless 3000 is all the miles you put on in a year (like my mom). 5000 is fine and easy to keep track of.

I run Pennzoil Platinum synthetic with a Mobil 1 filter and go 7500 miles now. The used oil analysis are fine.

Latest posts