oil change no pressure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a very strange thing happen when I changed my oil on my 2001 job 1. (Tropartic 5-30,Fram ph8a,10oz. of energy release.)Started up the engine and the gauge showed no pressure, nothing was rattling or heating up after very close observation for 15 minutes. The gauge still doesn't show any pressure. Any idea's?This was the first change since I aquired it.

Sure you didn't accidentally pull the wire off of the OP sender?

Keep in mind also that the "gauge" is actually an needle version of an idiot light, either pressure or no pressure, no actual pressure readings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, on cold days, mine says no pressure but after it is warmed up, it jumps to mid-range. Let it warm up for a little while and the guage should jump up.

nranchero where is the OP sender at on a job 1? I didn't notice any wires near the oil drain or filter but as soon as it stops snowing I'll look again.

Sounds like air or a little piece of junk got into the sender...... Also the 01's were known for bad senders for the Gage..

Todd Z

Ditto, change the sender. I wouldnt use fram filters. Also what is this 10oz of energy release. Motors nowdays dont need additives. Sometime they cause problems. Especaialy if it is some type of teflon additves.

My uncle worked in research for a major oilcompany. Retired 3yrs ago. He said in all their studies. Oil additives were snake oil in a modern engine. They ran motors in extreme conditions and normal, in and out of cars. Before and after specs shown that additives did nonthing. Qaulity oil and filters is all you need.

He retired before royal purple. Before that the best they tested was red line.

Fast Eddie, I too am hesitant about using additives in oil. That said I have had very good luck with this particular product. I wouldn't use it on a new engine but then I will probably never own anything with a new engine.

Bill, didnt know rp was around that long. When I asked him about it. He said they didnt test it. I assumed it wasnt around then.

Flatlander, my uncle was talking about modern day engines, of the last 15 or more years. Not engines that have been broke in or high milage. That would include our tracs. I trust his word. He said modern oils have everything in them that todays motors need. He told me they found that some additive conflicted and broke down the additives in some oils. Their builups and teardown specs, prooved it. He did say oil change intervals were dependent on abuse and stop and go. He said best thing is to get your oil sample tested. Then you really know when. He runs the Rotella syn. in his F-250 powerstroke that is not stock.

RP has been around at least 10 yrs, was sold in speed shops in the beginning.

I use syns in the trac because I get lazy and forget, might go, 6/7/10 k miles

Think thats okay.

Think Dino is just as good, if changed every 3 K miles. JMO

I change oild on everything in my household twice a year, whether it needs it or not. For the Trac: 5W20 Mobil 1 Extended Performace and a new Mobil 1 oil filter every time. This usually works out to 10k-15k between intervals.

I don't lose any sleep over this change schedule at all.

I never use any oil additives.

Last edited by a moderator: