Oil Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Dog

Reaction score
I am going to attempt to change my own oil for the first time, can someone tell me how much oil I am going to need?:wacko:

How do you change the oil in our trucks? Like any other internal combustion engine. If you are asking, then it's probably not a good idea for you to change your own oil. Pay someone else to do it for you.

Pull the drain plug, let it drain. Remove the oil filter, clean the base of the filter mount. Replace filter. Add oil, start up, and check for leaks.

Tom

I would coat the seal of the new filter with a thin film of oil. This allows the seal to give or slip a little to seal. If everything is dry, it can roll or kink sometimes....

Sorry...can't resist. Caymen: You forgot one very important step... Replace the drain plug! :D:D:D Done that mistake more than once myself... :wacko:

I was just getting ready to edit that just now after reading it again.

As a general rule, if you turn it on, turn it off.

If you take it off and it is suposed to be on, replace it when finished.

Tom

Caymen: I know what you are saying, and I do agree 100%, but I also know from experience, as Chet said, how much oil is really in a quart when it's on the floor! ;) It's funny now, but when it happened, well, let's just say that the air got kind of blue... :eek::)

Steph: 4.0L V6 in ST has 5 qt capacity. I'd just dump in the 5qt jug of 5w-30 Mobil 1 and not worry about it.

The oil filter is hard to remove with a standard filter wrench. Get one of these end cap wrenches and it makes it simple.

[Broken External Image]:

Also consider a fumoto valve if your going to be changing your own oil all the time.

[Broken External Image]:

I use this claw type. Works real nice. I just got done using it to change the oil in my van.

That's my family room coffee table underneath. Genuine Mark Martin race tire with a sheet of glass over it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If you find yourself using any oil filter wrench to remove the oil filter on a regular basis then you are tightening it too tight.

Just tighten @1/4 turn after the gasket makes contact - till its slightly snug. Makes removal easy and you are less likely to have a leak around the seal.

I always pour a quart into the filter before installing. On my 01 anyway the filter sits straight uo so there is no spilling. This way you don't have low pressure.

Latest posts