Oil/Crude Want to know who is buying what and from Where?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsy me

Reaction score
I put this under the Fuel/Mpg because it pertains to FUEL.

This is an interesting but, not surprising bit of information

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/cli.html

Take some time and check out all the links listed on that page.

Do we really have a choice of who to buy gas from now?

Last edited by a moderator:
And yet we're told that we almost exclusively import from Mexico and Canada. I guess they mean individuals not companies

Jim

this report is only partly accurate. there is a lot of data that is open to interpretation in this info. i have done DOE reporting for our company before and it is not an exact science by any means. For example, if you import crude into the Gulf coast and store it in the Brine Caverns, it doesn't get counted in DOE until it is pulled from there and sent to the refineries. And a lot of companies leave the crude in there for months.

Also over the next few years the USA import schedule will change dramatically. Our imports from Canada will almost double. The new refinery technology that is being put in to refine the Canadian Tar Sands will effect that number (figure about 2010 to 2011). Also don't forget about the domestically sourced crude as well.

Oh and No it doesn't matter who you buy from, it is all bought and sold so many times the companies all use the same stuff.

it does show that Canada and Mexico import alot...

Your are correct about numbers t_hutch22, as in any company, factual numbers ususally only count when a certain period or final count is made.

As it states these figures are from Feb 2008 for figures that have been accounted for and reported

Release Schedule: April 2008 Company Level Imports With Data for February 2008

Preliminary data release on April 14, 2008.

Final data release on April 28, 2008

The other problem with DOE filing is that it is not checked. I can report I imported 5 barrels from Canada and in fact I imported 10 barrels from Iraq. Believe me this is very common. Not always because a company is trying to get away with something but because when it comes to Customs entries you have a year to finalize them from the date date of import if you flag them for recon. DOE does not report backwards to reflect changes and corrections made by companies.

If the US Government is using this as a source of their statistics, no wonder we are in the economic situation we are in now???

To creat a list of the top 15 crude oil importers and not list the USA, China, or Japan on the list is ridiculous!

I can only say that the figures they are reporting are highly suspect and appear to be p;litcally configured to purposely mislead the public.

Why would some of the biggest oil producing counties in the world need to import crude oil ??

...Rich

Richard, this DOE report is imports into the USA. It list sthe countries of origin for the crude brought into the USA. You wouldn't see the USA on the list because it is impossible to import fromt eh US to the US. Also we don't import crude form China or Japan.

from the FAQ of that website:

""Can I tell which country or State the gasoline at my local station comes from?

For several reasons, the Energy Information Administration (EIA) cannot definitively say where gasoline at a given station originated:

EIA does not collect data on the source of the gasoline sold at retail outlets.

The name on the service station sign does not tell the whole story. The fact that you purchase gasoline from a given company does not necessarily mean that the gasoline was actually produced by that particular company's refineries. While gasoline is sold at about 169,000 retail outlets across the nation1, about one-third of these stations are “unbranded” dealers that may sell gasoline of any brand2. The remainder of the outlets are “branded” stations, but may not necessarily be selling gasoline produced at that company's refineries. This is because gasoline from different refineries is often combined for shipment by pipeline, and companies owning service stations in the same area may be purchasing gasoline at the same bulk terminal. In that case, the only difference between the gasoline at station X versus the gasoline at station Y may be the small amount of additives that those companies add to the gasoline before it gets to the pump.

Even if we knew at which company's refinery the gasoline was produced, the source of the crude oil used at that refinery may vary on a day-to-day basis. Most refiners use a mix of crude oils from various domestic and foreign sources. The mix of crude oils can change based on the relative cost and availability of crude oil from different sources.

Can I tell which companies purchase imported crude oil or gasoline?

While EIA cannot identify which companies are selling imported gasoline, EIA does collect data on which companies import crude oil and refined products. However, the fact that a given company imported crude oil or gasoline does not mean that those particular imports will end-up being sold to motorists as that company's brand of gasoline. The origin of the crude oil that a refinery processes is determined by market economics at a given time and may change from month-to-month or even day-to-day. Company-level import data can be found at:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/cli.html

What does it mean that oil is part of a “global” market?

The United States and many other countries in the world consume more refined products (i.e., gasoline, diesel, heating oil, and jet fuel) than can be produced without using crude oil that is imported from other countries. At the same time, certain countries export more crude oil than they consume. When crude oil supplies from one country/source drop off, world oil demand is still met but with a different mix of crude oil supplies. When the overall supply of crude oil decreases, the world market “tightens” and prices usually rise.

Can consumers reduce the revenues flowing to a certain country or countries by boycotting companies that have a history of importing from those countries?

Due to the global nature of the oil market, boycotts by individual consumers or even individual countries cannot reduce the oil revenues of a given oil producing country/countries. At best, consumer boycotts of a company known to import crude oil would result in a temporary reduction in the market share of that particular company. Because the overall consumer demand for products made from oil (like gasoline and diesel fuel) would be unchanged, the oil would simply be purchased by some other company.

Similar market shifts would occur if an entire country or countries refused to buy oil from a certain country/region, or were legally prevented from doing so. The boycotting countries would take additional imports from different countries,<

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts