oil filter relocation kit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Kolb

Reaction score
Has anyone put an oil filter relocation kit on their STs? I've been thinking about switching to synthetic which would require me to change the oil filter more often then the oil.

Just run a K&N filter then. You should be able to go the same on both the filter and oil then. Would be less of a hassle than installing a relocation kit I think.

I think the oil I'm looking at claims 25k or 12 months, which is 12 months for me. However I believe it is still 3 months 3k for the oil filter. I don't see a K&N oil filter lasting 12 months, so my plan was to relocate the filter so I'd be able to change it easier and with less mess.

R1ch,

I have run them on many race cars.

Just never get the cheep kit and allways keep a second set of hoses on hand...

Todd Z

A paper media oil filter will start to degrade over time and is the main reason that they are required to be replaced no longer than 7K or so miles. There are some high end filters that use synthetic fibers and should be able to go much longer. Since filters are cheap enough, replace them within a reasonable period of time rather than stretch them to their limits.

I have also used remote filters on race cars and have never encountered any problems. In fact, the last car had a dual remote filters in a single adapter and the oil ran through coolerl with an electric fan for additional cooling.

Rather than carry spare hoses, use stainless steel braided hoses and you won't have to worry about blowing a hose (hoses do deteriorate over time especially if they carry oil).

...Rich

Rich,

The braided hoses are crazy expensive, If you get the cheaper rubber, you will have a failure..

Now you can wrap the hoses in hose wrap, to help prolong the rubber, but the braided is the way to go..

Here is a pic of one of my setups..

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Todd, in the pic you supplied, it would appear that you'd have a big mess when you change that filter. Is there some sort of pan underneath it, or is there a drain back so that you don't have a filter full of oil?

Darin, The filter above can be changed 2 ways. I slotted the mount holes so you can simply loosen the bolts and slide it off the fender and move it to remove, OR what I normally did was change the oil in the morning.... Place a rag under the filter take off the filter and spin the new one on, I never had a drip of oil get on any thing under there...

Todd Z

I'll be running a remote oil filter on the '66....Don't think I'm gonna spend the money on braided hoses, so I'll be using rubber. Since this car won't be a daily driver, but intead a good weekend cruiser, how often should I check the conditions of the hoses? Or, a better question, how often should I expect to replace them?

I'll have to look into getting some braided hoses for it. My thought was a dual filter setup and I really don't care to worry about the hoses so I'll spring for the braided. Any suggestions on where to get them?

Latest posts