Oil Filter Troubles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Johnson

Reaction score
Having trouble getting into a tight spot to snug up the oil filter. It keeps leaking and I can't get my hand in there to tighten it enough. Any advice, or tip on what tool I can use. :angry:

Make sure the old oil filter gasket is not stuck on the block.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always use a ratchet, extensions and a filter socket to do the final torque. I only reach up to do the initial install so that I don't cross-thread. But just a nice snug torque. Always, always check to ensure the old gasket is not on the vehicle.

Take the oil filter off and check for double-gasket as sws and john mention. Check gasket on new filter for damage. You shouldn't have to tighten the new filter that much - one revolution after the gasket contacts the plate.

+1 on checking for an extra gasket left on from the old (removed) one.

Also after cleaning the mating surface when you remove the old filter, put some clean oil on the surface of the new filter gasket. Cinching down on the filter when there is a dry mating surface will give misleading indication of if it tight enough.

I have the old filter and the gasket is still attached so that is not the problem. I've already hand tightened the filter but not sure if it is enough because I couldn't get my hand in there to the point where I feel like I had a good grip on it.

In 35 years of oil changes, I have NEVER used a wrench to tighten a filter. Sometimes to loosed, but never to tighten. Don't forget to oil the gasket before installing the filter.

Can't ever remember one leaking...

Although some people will recomend to stay away from using a ratchet/socket combination, I don't find it to be an issue whatsoever. In fact, I use it whether I have an access issue or not. However, I do use only one hand to operate the ratchet, and I also either place my hand where the extension meets the ratchet, or I use my 3' stubby ratchet. By spinning the filter by hand until the gasket makes contact, and then using tools, you can watch the filter and easly see the additional movement. The ST filter position is difficult to tighen if doing by hand only...its a long reach and a tight spot, and any oil residue makes the job difficult. Just be aware of how much additional turn you are making and choke up on the ratchet.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you lubed the new gasket. It could be faulty, or an old gasket was already there and now it leaks, this time. OR...

Some of the gen 1 tracs develop leaks. Where the filter mount, attaches to the block. The metal was too porous. You have to remove the exhaust manifold to change it.

Takes a new mount, o-ring and bolt to repair...

I always use a ratchet and a filter socket to tighten the filter. Put a mark on it with a Sharpie or something and tighten it 3/4 or one turn after the gasket contacts the base - whatever it says on the filter.

No problems for me after 40 years.

Latest posts