Oil gauge

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Smith 2

Reaction score
I have a 2003 sporttrac with 185000. Recently the oil gauge has been indicating strange. Normally the gauge needle is in the middle. I know this is not a true reading pressure gauge but just an on off light in the true sense. Recently when I start the engine the needle would be about 1/4 of the way up. Now it is just above the low reading mark. The gauge does not move from here with the engine off or on, although it does twitch slightly when the engine is started. All the other needles for the gauges move to the bottom of the gauge with the truck off(except the fuel) but the oil stays just above the low mark. I've changed the oil using what I always use and changed out the pressure sensor on the block. Anyone seen this before or have an idea? The engine runs and sound fine, no rattles.

Probably a bad sending unit, or a loose electrical connection or broken wire at the Sending Unit.

A bad Oil Pressure sending unit is a common problem with Gen-1 Sport Tracs.

Typically they don't register any oil pressure for a few minutes after starting the engine, and then suddenly kick in and give a normal reading. As you already know, the Oil Pressure gauge is just a idiot light disguised as a gauge. If the oil pressure is 8 PSI or greater, the gauge will show a normal reading. If less than 8 PSI, the gauge will show no Oil pressure and you will often get a Check Gauge light.

Since yours seems to be fluctuating, I suspect a bad sending unit, or a loose wire connection.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it. It was as I suspected....the oil indicator gauge was broke. Went on a hunch and found an engine gauge cluster at a salvage yard for $45. I was thinking it was the gauge because the needle would not move from its location just above the low pressure tic mark. Removed the old engine cluster, slaved in the salvage unit, fired the engine up and presto....oil pressure indication. I removed the cover off my old cluster and the needle for oil pressure would move any location and stay. Removed the cover off the salvage cluster and the needle would spring back to the bottom of the gauge. I posted a link to the youtube video I found that was very well done on how to remove the engine cluster.

Got it. It was as I suspected....the oil indicator gauge was broke. Went on a hunch and found an engine gauge cluster at a salvage yard for $45. I was thinking it was the gauge because the needle would not move from its location just above the low pressure tic mark. Removed the old engine cluster, slaved in the salvage unit, fired the engine up and presto....oil pressure indication. I removed the cover off my old cluster and the needle for oil pressure would move any location and stay. Removed the cover off the salvage cluster and the needle would spring back to the bottom of the gauge. I posted a link to the youtube video I found that was very well done on how to remove the engine cluster.
Hello! I don’t see the link. Any chance you’d be willing to report it? Thank you,

Oops! Repost not report :).

Latest posts