oil gauge

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwj 1

Reaction score
was wondering if anyone have had troubled with the engine oil gauge not working properly in extreme cold weather. It was around 10° last night , when I started my pick up the oil gauge did not move for several minutes after some time, it jumped up to where it usually runs(right before I started to panic) thanks Carl

It's more than likely the sensor, not an actual lack of oil pressure in your engine. It's a fairly common problem with the Trac.

There is a TSB on this. Ford will replace the sensor with an updated version for free if your under coverage.

If not, the.sensor is cheap. Less than twenty dollars. It is hidden behind the power steering pump.

Unfortunately, the oil gauge on the ST is more like an idiot light. It is either on or off. Showing "normal" pressure or none. Sounds like the sender is bad.

As Coastiejoe stated, this is a known problem, and I believe the replacement oil senders are cured of this.

It's just cold, been doing it every year since I got mine. I asked ford and got this response:

Do you like getting up in the morning in 10 degree weather and springing into action? jeez give the oil gauge a break, it's only electric, you have your other gauges that pop right up and say "look at me, look at me, i'm springing into action and telling you you have fuel." friggin show offs, someone ought to hit them in the grotskies a few times and see how fast they jump up. it's cold, it's shivering, it wants to lay down for a little bit longer until the engine hits about 90 degrees and gives me some heat dammit. You know you have oil, you've been changing it regularly right? Do you hear any grinding noises at startup that would indicate that there is no oil? No, because your engine would choke up cough out a piston, seize and shutdown if there were no oil, before you even noticed me or that squealing b--ch 'check gauge light lit up. I hate that friggin guy, i'm want his family dead, i want his dog dead, i want his mailman, cousin, newspaper guy, mechanic, computer, the guy that sang 'copacabana' dead. I want to break 2 of his kneecaps, and make sure it remembers not to squeal on the cluster nostra. Snitches get stitches, what's the matter check gauge light, you didn't learn that on the assembly line? you little pri*k, if you flash one more time I swear, on my limited edition DVD of goodfellas, that I will cut your heart out with a spoon.

So anyway you can change the sensor if you want.

Carl,

The problem is the oil pressure sending unit. This is a very common problem whith the early 2001-2002 Sport Trac's. I had a 2001 model that I bought in September 2000 and had to have the sending unit replaced in November as soon as the weather started to get cold here.

Ford replaced the sending unit under warranty, however if you are out of warranty, they will not likely fix it on your 2001 model under warranty. Some people have replaced the unit themselves and the part is only about $30.

The Sport Trac oil pressure gauge is not a true analog gauge. If there is more than 8 psi the gauge will move to the center of the "Normal" operating range. Because the sending unit sticks it does not react to the actual oil pressure and gauge needle stays on zero air pressure and triggers the "Check Gauge" light. As sonn as your engine warms up a bit, the sending unit unsticks and your oil pressure gauge will jump to the normal operating range/ During this delay, your engine is receiving full oil pressure and is not in danger of being damaged.

...Rich