Oil is plentiful so why are gas prices rising?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oil Is Plentiful, Demand Weak. Why Are Gas Prices Going Up?

By VIVIENNE WALT / PARIS Vivienne Walt / Paris http://www.time.com/

Storage tankers across the globe may be brimming with oil that no one is buying because of the global economic downturn, but the traditional laws of supply and demand don't always apply to oil prices. Drivers have faced rising prices at the gas pump in recent months, as investors and oil-producing countries hoard supplies in anticipation of a global economic recovery later this year.

The 12 member countries of the OPEC cartel voted in Vienna on Thursday to maintain output at current levels rather than increase supplies in order to bring some relief to consumers, particularly in the gas-guzzling West. The OPEC oil ministers, whose countries account for about 40% of the world's entire crude-oil supply, also renewed their commitment to stick to their agreed quotas, rather than ship extra oil, as they began doing last April when several members ignored their agreed output limits. OPEC leaders, many of whose economies are heavily dependent on oil exports, have struggled to stabilize prices at a level that suits their own economic needs amid falling demand and rising supplies. Prices had rocketed to a record level of $147 a barrel last July before plummeting to $30 just five months later and beginning a new climb. (See pictures of South Africa's oil-from-coal refinery.)

Oil analysts believe OPEC's decisions on Thursday could help push oil prices even higher; oil futures on the New York Mercantile Exchange have risen 36% in just two months, to about $63.46 a barrel on Thursday. And that appears to be on track to achieve targets set by OPEC leaders. Saudi Oil Minister Ali al-Naimi - OPEC's key power player - said Wednesday that oil prices ought to rise to between $75 and $80 a barrel by the end of the year. "Demand is picking up, especially in Asia," he told reporters puffing alongside him as he jogged through the streets of Vienna. "The price rise is a function of optimism that better things are coming in the future."

The economic recovery Naimi so optimistically predicts would certainly be vital to oil-producing countries, whose own economies would be imperiled by a drawn-out recession. Oil demand in rich countries has crashed since the onset of the economic crisis last year, and is now at its lowest level since about 1981, according to the Paris-based International Energy Agency. U.S. oil inventories - the stored surplus - this month reached their highest level since the 1980s. And about 2.6 billion barrels are currently stored in commercial tankers around the world. "There is some risk we will run out of storage space in the next four to six weeks," says Simon Wardell, director of global oil at IHS Global Insight, an energy-forecasting company in London. To oil-rich countries that possibility evokes grim memories of 1998, when the Asian economic crisis sent demand plummeting, driving world oil prices down to $10 a barrel. "If we run out of storage it could prompt a collapse in the price," says Wardell. Oil producers might then choose to dramatically cut output in order to run down the surplus. (See pictures from Azerbaijan's oil boom.)

Despite such dangers, investors and oil producers are betting that global demand will roar back, apparently hoping that the recession has already hit bottom. Over the past two months, investors have plowed billions of dollars into oil futures. If the U.S. and other major industrial economies rebound, oil supplies could be depleted because the recession has prompted producer nations to freeze hundreds of projects to open new oil wells or upgrade existing ones. In the oil-rich Niger Delta, a major Nigerian government offensive against rebels has seriously disrupted production for several weeks. Venezuela's Oil Minister Rafael Ramirez said in Vienna that his country could not afford to invest in major new oil exploration unless prices rise further. "We need a level of at least $70 [a barrel] to recuperate investment," he said on Thursday. Muhammad-Ali Zainy, senior energy analyst at the Center for Global Energy Studies in London, says oil demand could increase quickly once the recession ends, especially as China has begun to build up its strategic oil reserves. "We think the price is going to go up gradually," says Zainy.

For those feeling the pain at the gas pumps, however, there is one piece of good news. Oil is unlikely to hit $147 a barrel again - at least not during the coming decades. The U.S. Energy Information Administration said on Wednesday that oil prices would likely rise to $110 a barrel by 2015 and $130 a barrel by 2030. By that time the world oil markets might once again follow the normal rules of economics.

Once again, foreign oil producers have us "over a barrel".:angry:

And one of the first things that President Obama did after taking office was to cancel 77 leases to drill on public lands and to reverse his predecessor's decision to allow more offshore drilling, making us even more dependent on foreign oil producers.:wacko:

Drill here, drill now, pay less!

I read a couple of futures reports couple of weeks ago on Bloomberg oil could spike around 190 to 220 a barrel by the end of next year because of the 70 plus leases Obama killed. I guess this is the hope and change we were all looking for??????

This is where I have to chime in - something about being president, so easy even a caveman can do it (thanks Geico). He only became president because he was going to undo everything every president before him did, whether it was good or bad.

gotta be careful what you wish for...change isn't always a good thing!

Now that the oil companies are losing their tax breaks, I'm sure that the prices is rising to make up the differences...Gotta post consistant record profits"

We are getting rid of our foreign oil dependency by not drilling offshore, not converting coal, not mining shale oil, and no new nuclear plants. We must all drive small cars and pray for wind! What am I missing here?

I read the other day that the gas prices were going up only part because of the price of oil. It's actually rising more because of the reason the refineries aren't making as much fuel as they were a year ago. So there is less fuel out there. Not oil. So up goes the price of gas. I'm sick of it all. Someone needs to get a handle of this. The big oil companies are getting to do what they want and gouge the consumer.;)

Rodger says:
What does not compute is that if supply is down and demand is down, then why are prices going up?

Actually, demand has inched up as it always does during the summer driving months. Also, speculators stayed out of the market the end of last year and the first several months of this year as credit access and the economy fell. Now, speculators are back in, in full-force and creating an artificial scarcity.

TJR

Exactly. Funny thing is, as your article says, they want the price to be $70 a barrel to "recuperate investment". What the hell did they do with all the money they were raking in when it was $140 a barrel? The cost of pumping it didn't go up. Plus, they keep cutting the output. So in turn lowering the cost for them, yet raising the income. What an oxymoron. Oh, wait, we are the morons. God forbid we be able to drive what we want to. Heck, I can afford to put gas in my vehicles. Both of which are "Gas Hogs" to the current Gov. (ST and H3) But those are the vehicles I choose to have. So maybe it's my fault for the prices.:huh:

You know the gas companies do make a lot of money but they don't make much on each gallon they sell. Now, I'm not friendly to big business and what not but most of the research will point out that the percentage they make on each gallon is pretty small. They do pay taxes and put a lot of money into "research" Whats can really effect the price of gas locally is the population density, the less the population the higher the price. (Side note, there are 115 taxes on one loaf of bread) They make tons of money because we use so much, therefore they sell a lot. Most of the price is changed purely on speculation of what oil levels will be for the future and oil and gas production in the short term. When OPEC claims they are going to cut production, price of oil goes up. If you believe in conspiracy theories, then there are plenty of people who want high gas prices like the amounts seen in Europe and in the Middle East. That way we would have to rely on hybrid tech or small car philosophy. An even deeper conspiracy is that Terrorist want higher gas prices so our industries no longer build big and strong vehicle so that when they set a bomb off we will all be driving smaller cars that have "stronger" composite materials. My head is spinning.:wacko::blink:

More "Change" you can believe in...of course that lady will have Obama put gas in her car and pay for her mortgage...:blink:

Maybe they should do a followup interview with her...

"Honk if you have Voter remorse!"

of course that lady will have Obama put gas in her car and pay for her mortgage...

Out of curiosity, what lady are you talking about?

Now, speculators are back in, in full-force and creating an artificial scarcity.

Maybe speculators should be out...permanently. I have more than a few "choice words" for them as it is.

Obama is having the Fed buy US bonds which is how the government prints money. This devalues the US dollar big time and causes oil prices to go up. Get Obama to stop spend money on bail outs. If his polls started to go down he may lose support to his bail outs. So stop worrying about being callled a racist and tell pollsters you don't like Obama.:D

Out of curiosity, what lady are you talking about?

This references a video prior to the election to a woman's reaction to the "change" Obama would bring her, in the form of free living...

I heard that the reason was because of the switch over from winter gas to summer gas?? You know that's the excuse they always use around this time of year, and in the late fall when they are switching back to the winter blend.

But in the end, it's all based on speculation and has very little to do with the price of oil or supply and demand.

I'm sure that some countries are hording oil and gas in case the world economy takes another nose dive. But there is also speculation that the world econobies cannot tolerate much more intreases in the price of gas or there will be a consumer backlash, people will reduce their used, and the prices will fall again. So in effect there is a price ceiling that is fixed based on the world economic situation. As things improve, the price for gas and oil will rise in a like manner.

...Rich