Oil Leak questions...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
So my 2004 4.0L 2WD oil leak has gotten worse in the last 6 months or so. Been leaking a few drops now and then for a few years, but now worse. Not coming from the oil filter seal, but that side of the engine has a lot of oil wetness, and its not from the valve covers. I think it's probably a combination of pan gasket and oil filter adapter. Maybe even the main seal is a contributor. So here are my questions....
Can the oil pan be pulled without any other surgery, like lifting the engine or pulling off frame members? I read somewhere that there is a "top oil pan section" besides the lower pan. Is that true and if so can that be removed without issue? And can the oil filter adapter be pulled without any other removal? Looks to me that perhaps the exhaust manifold is in the way. Thanks.

V6~4.0L~SOHC Engine pics below.
OilPan, shown painted black, can be easily removed\dropped, along with OilPumpScreen.
Girdle, shown painted gray, to which OilPan is bolted, not so easily removed; likely need to pull engine.
OilFilterAdaptor; unsure if it can be removed without removing right ExhaustManifold?
New OilPanGasket is needed; recommend FelPro.
Also recommend removing+cleaning OilPumpScreen,
inspecting all around for broken TimingGuide pieces,
& replacing DrainBolt with Fumoto DrainValve.
Be sure to renew PCVValve & that all PCVVacHoses are in good order;
if PCVValve is plugged can cause high CrankCase pressure & oil leaks.

2001.Ford_Engi.Assy_wOut_Bala.Shft_2002~2012_2SRa.GIF

2001.Ford_Engi.Assy_wOut_Bala.Shft_2002~2012_2BXa.GIF

2001.Ford_Engi.Lube_Pans.Scrn_Ford.1L2e-6617~ab_2020.0503.GIF

2001.Ford_Engi.Lube_Pans.Lowr_Ford.5r3z-6675-aa_6of7.JPG

2001.Ford_Engi.Lube_DVlv+Filt_Pref.GIF

Last edited:
Thanks...my additional research indicates that the exhaust manifold and first pipe has to be removed....even on the drivers side. All the threads I read indicates that this is a difficult job...along with the oil adapter being a high source for leaks. In the past I could handle this, but probably no longer. I may do the pan to see how much reduction I achieve. Nothing above the oil pan on this engine looks easy to remove.

So my 2004 4.0L 2WD oil leak has gotten worse in the last 6 months or so. Been leaking a few drops now and then for a few years, but now worse. Not coming from the oil filter seal, but that side of the engine has a lot of oil wetness, and its not from the valve covers. I think it's probably a combination of pan gasket and oil filter adapter. Maybe even the main seal is a contributor. So here are my questions....
Can the oil pan be pulled without any other surgery, like lifting the engine or pulling off frame members? I read somewhere that there is a "top oil pan section" besides the lower pan. Is that true and if so can that be removed without issue? And can the oil filter adapter be pulled without any other removal? Looks to me that perhaps the exhaust manifold is in the way. Thanks.
Greetings,
I was experiencing the same problem with my 2004 sporty 2WD and
Greetings,
I was experiencing the same problem as you with my 2004 sporty 2WD and with the help and insight of Todd Z, swshawaii and Dillard they all felt it was the PCV valve and they were spot on, with Mr. Dillard providing great photos to boot. Hopefully, this is the issue because it costs way less to replace this than a rear main seal! Good luck!

Heres the oil pan.
Gotta replace mine because the previous owner stripped the drain plug threads out & an even longer bolt still didnt stop it 100%
Just waiting on it to be Dry and Warm, have not gotten both at the same time yet hahaha

I bought the Fumoto as recommended a while ago by Dillard. I haven't yet installed it. I'm waiting for warmer weather. It does look like the answer, however. I'm surprised these things aren't standard equipment on all cars and trucks.

...bought the Fumoto ...haven't yet installed ...waiting for warm
...does look like the answer ...surprised these things aren't standard
AutoMakers will save a buck every chance they get; a 50cent DrainBolt vs a $20 DrainValve.
$20/Car * 1million Cars/Year = $20million extra in annual bonuses for CorpBoardMembers.

I like the EZ drain, but that's just me...

I like the EZ drain, but that's just me...
Did try EZ DrainValves in the past; similar design & a little less expensive than Fumoto.
But found EZs are made of Aluminum instead of Brass.
Had one crack & leak, so never used them again; could be just a one off.

Last edited:
Well, I got all my oil leaks resolved.......I traded my ST for a new 2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5. It's been fun but this year I'll be 70 years old and I just don't have the desire to deal with either finding a good mechanic ( I do most of my work myself on cars) or doing it myself. Both valve covers were leaking, I see oil around the filter adapter, there is oil around the top pan seam, and even getting to the PVC valve is next to impossible without removing other parts. Just don't want to deal with the hassel any more. Someone will get a really nice silver ST and I'm sure they will solve those leaks. Kind regards to everyone and many thanks for the technical help during the 18 years.

John: 18 years! That must mean you bought it new. (And that you were a mere 52 when you made the investment.) I'm fairly new here, but it's encouraging to see that someone has been a faithful Sport Trac owner and a contributor to this forum for so long. Many thanks.

Well, I got all my oil leaks resolved.......I traded my ST for a new 2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5. It's been fun but this year I'll be 70 years old and I just don't have the desire to deal with either finding a good mechanic ( I do most of my work myself on cars) or doing it myself. Both valve covers were leaking, I see oil around the filter adapter, there is oil around the top pan seam, and even getting to the PVC valve is next to impossible without removing other parts. Just don't want to deal with the hassel any more. Someone will get a really nice silver ST and I'm sure they will solve those leaks. Kind regards to everyone and many thanks for the technical help during the 18 years.
A sad day. John, truth is I'm not far behind you on the "Garden Path".
I've hung on to my SportTrac 21+ years now, because is it's been a good truck;
it also represents my mortality+limitations; so I fight to keep it running & reliable.
Good luck with your new vehicle, but most importantly enjoy life.

Last edited:
John... what? You are in titusville? Me too! There's a guy a block or two down the street from me who owns a silver ST. That you?

Excellent video on removing & reinstalling
the V6~4.0L~SOHC engines OilPan + OilPumpScreen + Girdle !!!

Latest posts