oil smell

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha y'all, only after the truck has been idling at a stop light or some such, I smell oil burning. I don't see anything under the hood or on the carport floor. The dipstick is ok. At first I thought that it was another vehicle but id has happened too many times for it to be him. I just changed the oil to Amsoil, within 500 miles or so and the oil is black already. Any ideas?

God bless Ed

If you switched to full syn @ high millage. you may have some gasket seepage. Posible valve cover onto exhaust manifold.

Detergent properties of full syn tends to clean gunk. Can cause gasket sealing failure. Seen it happen before with mobil 1. After 40K on dino oil.

Any synthetic oil will clean sludge deposits, so that's probably causing the discoloration. That's why we recommend flushing the engine before changing over from dino oil to synthetic. Change the filter at 2K and top up. Check your valve covers for seepage as Eddie suggests. Given the age of your Trac the gasket(s) may have failed.

Thanks guys, Vic, do you think that a new filter will bring back the clear oil? I thought that I may have to change the oil again. 'Hate to have to spend another half a hundred dollars in less than 1000 miles! ' worth it to save the engine but lot of money.

God bless. Ed

Ed, I think what Vic said will be ok. Might want to make the first oil change sooner than norm. the properties of the syn oil wont change because of the color.

If you were going for a 10k change. Might take it to 7k, the first time.

When I switched to full syn from syn blend. Mine darkened some. I ran it 10k and changed filter @ 5k. Sent sample to blackstone lab. Sample results were good.

Have a blessed day also, Eddie

Ed, changing the filter won't affect the color of the oil; the high quality detergent additives in the oil are working as intended. I'm advising a filter change to head off excess deposits plugging the filter and putting it in bypass - which means the engine's circulating unfiltered oil. If you want to check for evidence, cut the old filter apart when you change it. A bit messy perhaps, but you'll see for yourself. Another cause of that smell could be from vicinity of oil filter; it's near the exhaust pipe on that side, so some oil may have splashed on it during the change. BTW, what brand of filter are you using?

Thanks Vic, I am using Amsoil filter, I bought from Charlie when I bought the oil.

God bless. Ed

That's what I thought. Because of the cost you might want to talk to Charlie first and see what he thinks. This picture (Dodge Cummins turbodiesel, AMSOIL bypass filtration, 100K on same oil) shows how AMSOIL cleans an engine and keeps it that way:[Broken External Image]:

You'd have to peek inside your valve covers to see what your engine looks like; strong flashlight with flex head will help if you don't want to take them off.

Latest posts