OK to use Wax on Chrome Wheels?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Turner

Reaction score
So I broke out my chrome rims yesterday to clean them before I put them on for the spring. I have plenty of dirt and brake dust on them from the fall and it was a bear to get them nice and shiney. Well, I need to know if it's ok to put a coating of wax on there to make getting the brake dust off easier. If so, what type of wax or polisher do you recommend? I spent some time searching on the site and I've seen Ford Chrome Cleaner, Klasse All-in-One, and Wenol are popular choices.

Yeah, I use my Meguiars NXT Tech wax on my daughter's chrome rims on her '97 Explorer all the time. Keeps them shiny and rust free.

nice

STCTC,

NEVER put away or store rims, or any other seasonal part, for that matter, in a dirty

condition! Clean with a good quality cleaner, (I use Mothers or Eagle 1, for the money),

and have had good results with both. Then give a good coat of wax and/or polish,

depending on the coating/finish of your rims. THEN store the part(s).

You can use wax on both clear-coated and chrome rims, but only chrome polish on

chrome, or a mild chemical-type cleaner on clear-coat rims, and always rinse the chemical

type cleaners thoroughly.

Zaino and Klasse are excellent products, from what I have heard. But unless you are

going for that "Show Car" Shine, Mothers, McGuiars, or Eagle One should give you

great results!

P.S. As I re-read your post; Use the cleaner-type products FIRST, to clean the dirt, don't

just try to "wax off the dirt"! It will only cause you headaches!:)

Blast from the past post here, but thanks for the tips anyway, tracnblack.

I always clean the wheels with water and towels before I apply the polish and wax. I can see where that wasn't so clear in the original post. Last fall I had to do an "emergency wheel removal" because we got about 5 inches of snow at the end of October and I didn't have much time (or a good day) to properly clean them before I stored them away for the winter. I'll be sure to get them off earlier this season and to clean them up before the snow starts falling.

Gotta love those freak Nor-Easters, or the early season snow falls. They'll throw you

every time! (Godsh, I hated those Michigan winters!!!). :angry: