One week with the Supercharged Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott r

Reaction score
Alrighty, now I've had time to calm down and really DRIVE the supercharged trac, instead of RACING it everywhere. I went on a 150 mile trip last Tuesday. I used approximately 6.8 gallons of fuel (I filled it COMPLETELY up before I left, then filled it COMPLETELY when I returned, but still, that's an estimate). That equates to about 22mpg, which is only about 1 mile/gallon worse than I was getting BEFORE the supercharger.

Actually driving was a much greater pleasure. I didn't find myself shifting down as much on those large uphill climbs as long as I was going 55+ mph. If I was going 70+ mph, I could usually even accelerate, thanks to the higher RPMs and more boost! I did have to watch my speed in the 55mph zones, almost ANY pressure on the gas pedal caused you to accelerate on flat ground if your RPMs were around 2000, which is where mine is at 55mph. I don't mean bone-jarring acceleration just from touching the accelerator, but it's noticeable and you'll find yourself breaking the speed limit quite often.

The torque is nothing short of spectacular. You can tell it's got a boatload of torque whenever you are going up a hill and don't have to shift down, it just keeps on pulling throughout the entire RPM range.

I have a limited slip rear-end, so traction really isn't that much of an issue. If you put a supercharger on a 'trac without a limited-slip or posi, I'm pretty sure you would have a problem or two with traction...even on dry pavement. There is NOTHING that is going to keep you from positively roasting the tires on wet pavement. Even a limited-slip can be a LOT of fun if you heat the tires up a bit before takeoff, via a bit of a brake torque. I roasted the tires all the way through first and well into second with an automatic transmission. ;) So needless to say, if you want to get crazy, you could go through a set of tires pretty quickly if you wanted to.

The engine does run HOT with the supercharger, but that's mainly due to the temperature of the air being forced into the engine by the roots-type supercharger. When I turn the engine off, you get the "rice krispy effect" for a minute or two, but I don't see where it's caused any damage, nor do I expect it to cause any damage. I haven't managed to turn my exhaust manifold red/orange/yellow yet, so I think I'm still within safe operating temperatures, even though the outside temp varied from 68 on Monday to 95 on Friday. I do think an intercooler or a boost cooler from snowperformance dot net would help significantly. I am designing a custom ram-air kit (read, redneck ram-air) for it as we speak, so that should also cool down the intake temps a bit too.

Since I still have truck tires on the 'Trac (well, it IS a truck, after all), I haven't taken it over 100mph yet, but I can tell you that even at 90-95mph, the truck is still pulling VERY hard and I have no doubt that it would do 120 (where the speed limiter kicks in). When I get my new tires/wheels, I'll make sure it'll do 120. The way that the Trac pulls at 90mph is just awesome, it feels like it has MORE power at higher speeds than it does at lower speeds, which is understandable since it's getting a LOT more air.

Passing power is just amazing. If you're behind a slow-poke and you mash on the pedal, you will TAKE OFF and be around the guy, and subsequently be at 80mph before you know it.

I haven't done any handling/braking performance mods up to this point, but I think it should be offered as a kit along with the supercharger because you WILL need it. I have the "upgraded" brake pads/rotors from auto zone (which probably aren't much better than stock) and the brake fade is pretty bad. After a bit of road racing or hard driving, you're going to be hard pressed to stop. So make SURE to upgrade your brakes to some very good pads/rotors along with the supercharger. I am also going to be getting a sway bar as well as the 1 3/8 inch lowering/handling kit from EE soon because

very nice review, baron. I can't afford a S/C, so the virtual ride will be the closest I will get :)

Can't wait!

Do I have to buy a ticket?lol :D

Keep us informed!

Josh

I'm going to post a short ride from 0-100 first, it'll be an avi in divx format, I figured that would be the most compatible. I use a mac, so mp4 would have been easiest, but not everyone has Quicktime on their computer. It should be done converting in about 5-7 minutes.

As for the tickets...the first ride is free. All subsequent rides will cost you $10 for gas. haha

-Scott

Ok, here it is, 0-100 miles per hour in a supercharged Sport Trac.

The main reason it slows down at around 80 is because there's a bit of an uphill incline (it's not easy to find a flat stretch of road here in the Ozarks). Spare me the hillbilly jokes please. ;)

Like I mentioned in my last post, this is a divx-encoded file, so everyone SHOULD be able to watch it. I took some other video of a regular take-off, and the sound of the whine at highway speeds. I'll put those up later tonight or tomorrow.

This is a bit over 2mb, so it might take a few minutes to load on 56k, with broadband it should load pretty quickly. If for whatever reason your browser won't play it, right-click on the link and choose "save link as" or whatever.

Oh, and yes, that IS the supercharger...not a siren.

-Scott

Quick and loud, just the way I like it. :)

Like I said, you're not going to be beating any Mustang GTs, but it isn't too shabby. I hope the video makes it easier for people to see how fast it really is after the supercharger install.

The whine bothers some people, but I love it.

i cant see the video on windows media player, but i can hear it lol..it says error downloading codec? oim goin nuts over ere cuz thats amazing lol and i wanna see

Go here and download their free player, that should allow you to watch it. I figured media player had support built in...

I had to download the divx codec for media player.... I will put it in my files if you need it, just download it and doubleclick, it will install. I did not install the divx player part, and mediaplayer worked just fine.....

Awesome video.....

Well, here's the windows media player version, for those who can't play/see the divx version.

It might download it to your desktop instead of open in your browser, I don't know. Either way, you don't need divx to watch this version.

Sounds and looks good!!!! .... I love how F-ing slow the dam tach is... The truck shifts and tach takes at least 1 second to catch up..LOL

I would recommend some extra tranny cooling, an accurate tach, boost Gauge, and a either a lower t -stat, or an electric fan so when you shut the truck down, you can cool that engine... Thats the number 1 death to S/Cd engines...

Here is my video... Not as nice, but i like it...:)

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Burnout Todd. I'll have to get one of my friends to hold the camera while I do a burnout.

I've already ordered a boost gauge and I plan on doing some other modifications to cool things down. A transmission cooler would probably be a great idea too. I generally don't run it like I ran it for that video. In fact, that's only the 3rd or 4th time I've ran it wide open for any significant amount of time. Of course it's difficult to find the ROOM to open it up like that. That stretch of road that I was on is basically deserted. I mean people live out there, but you can go 20-30 minutes before you ever see a car. I did my famous burnout in my old '77 Cobra out there on that road. It left a set of black marks nearly 500 feet long and they were so dark that they were still there when I got out of the Marine Corps 4 years later. That mustang Cobra 2 was one ugly car, but it ran like a bat out of hell. I went through a set of rear tires in 2 weeks when I first got it. It would absolutely roast the tires through the first two gears and part of the way into third (it was a 4-speed auto). Fun car.

I here ya, watch the mustang II comments..LOL...

Cool deal, There are tranny pans out there also that will help keep her cooler...

here are some pics

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a fastback model, but it's not running right now. That's my next project. It's white with orange stripes over the top and the traditional "Cobra II" on the doors. It was very fast. It passed everything but a gas station! :)

FlipTrac, I'll get some external footage sometime this week. I have to actually WASH the Trac, it's pretty dirty right now. I've been focusing on the engine, not the cleanliness.

Latest posts