One week with the Supercharged Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides the tach and the speedo going up in the video, you can also watch the gas guage going down! Hee, hee, just kidding! Sounds cool, looks cool, and I think I'm going to start saving my pennies! Great job Dude!

LOL, it SHOULD use more gas at WOT, since it's also forcing in more air. However, when driving NORMALLY, I really don't lose that much gas mileage. I figured it was about 1 mile/gallon. I suppose if the drive had a LOT of hills (such as in the mountains), you would probably get BETTER gas mileage since you wouldn't have to shift down gears and run at higher RPMs. That's just my theory though, I haven't had the chance to test it yet.

I can tell you it's a HELLUVA lot more fun to drive. It had rained all night here, but the roads had NEARLY dried off, so I decided to get out and see what kind of burnout I could do (no, I didn't get it on video, but I suuuuure wish I could have)...anyway, I pulled out in front of my house and brake torqued it a bit, when I had let off, I was already into 2nd gear...the tires kept spinning all the way through 2nd and about 1/2 way through third. The road behind me had completely DISAPPEARED from all the smoke. haha. That's gotta be one of the best smells ever. ;)

Hey John, I got it from ExplorerExpress. Dave is very nice and he helped me out with every issue I had. He even got my mechanic squared away when he had a question!

If you have any questions about drivability, performance, mileage or anything else, please feel free to message me, or post the questions here in this forum so that everyone can read 'em. If you want more horsepower, this is the BEST and EASIEST way to get it. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks that I've had mine, I find myself out driving just for the fun of it now, whereas I haven't done that for a LONG time. Saying it's a "blast" to drive is the understatement of the year. ;)

Thanks for the welcome and the answers. I have a 2002 ST and I use it as a vehicle for work.(1500-4000 miles month) Im not looking for a racecar but would love to have the lowend torque a roots blower offers, I previously owned a Ford Lightning until gas hit $2.75 gallon last summer. All Im looking for better passing and power at tipin, I have around 400# of tools and gear at all times in the ST. Did this kit come with a chip ? Im in Texas where we have currently been above 100 degrees and with the load detonation is a major concern since the roots blow very hot air and the kit is not intercooled. As stated above, I use to own a Lightning and had Superchip Custom Tune program where I was able to reflash the computer to my own timing and fuel curves, is this type software available for our vehicles ? Thanks for the help and Im really learning alot about my ST, Great Website :)

John M.,

Yes, the supercharger kit from EE comes with two tunes, one for high-performance (more advanced spark timing, etc), and one for lower performance (if you got some bad gasoline or something). I've been running the high performance tune since about 2 hours after I got the supercharger installed and haven't had a bit of trouble with knock/detonation. I am running 93 octane though, because that's what's available close to me. However, I doubt that you'd have any trouble at 92 or 91 either.

We've had days where the temps hit 98, and so far, I haven't had any problems. It was down to 36 last night. I got it out very early this morning and it ran like a bat out of hell, just like it does despite the temperature. If you're concerned about the temperature, you could put a "boost cooler" on it. I am considering it, it's $399, and it can give you up to as much as 75 additional horsepower, and cool the intake temperatures. I'll post a link at the bottom for you to check it out.

As far as the low end torque goes, the supercharger simply cannot be beat. When you mash on the pedal, you GO, and you go FAST. I went up a 17 degree grade today in top gear, doing 70mph and the truck never shifted down and held every bit of that speed without giving it hardly any gas. You'll swear you've got a big V8 in it, until you go to the gas station, where you'll be pleasantly reminded you're still driving a V6.

I don't really know how this compares to the lightning because I've never had the opportunity to drive one, however, I suspect it runs very similar to the supercharged 'Trac.

If I had to choose ONE performance mod for a sport trac, it would, without a doubt, be a supercharger. It makes the truck a LOT more drivable at highway speeds. When you jump out to pass someone, you don't have to WORRY about not making it around in time because you will get up to 80mph in the blink of an eye. It's really not something I can EXPLAIN.

On my Pioneer vehicle performance monitor, I was pulling well over .5 G at 80mph. A non-supercharged sport trac barely pulls .5 G from a standing start. It's truly a night and day difference. If you want all the advantages of a massive V8, without the crappy gas mileage, then there's no question that a supercharger is what you want. Of course you could always go out and cram a 351 in there...but say buh bye to your 20 miles + per gallon. hehe

Anyway, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Latest posts