Opening the 4WD Shift Motor Position Sensor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yardsale

Reaction score
2001, gen 1. Does anybody know how to open the 4WD shift motor position sensor? This one is supposedly a third generation, sealed position sensor. As shown in the first image, it does come apart, but when I tried, the outer case started cracking at the "seam" (blue arrow area).
TransferCaseShiftMotor005.jpg
TransferCaseShiftMotorPositionSensor003a.jpg

Have you resrearhed, to make sure. The position swith is not potted electronics. That cant be a repaired or exchange part.
Just a thought, Im a 4x2. But as a retired inst. tech. I run into thing like that all the time. I tear down parts only to find out it is a dead end....GL

I agree that it could be kaput, I can't really determine that until get it open. Note that when I state "sealed" I mean no screws or clips to open it - it is by no means actually sealed, as I was able to get contact cleaner sprayed inside.
I guess, since that seam area is inside the shift motor housing when installed, I could make a few slits in that outer case with a utility knife, so I could pop it off.

Latest posts