Opinion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Howard

Reaction score
I like the 07 Trac, but I like the look of my 05 better. I know the 07 is a better trac, but what do you guys think, would it be worthwhile to trade "up" or not? I only have 30,000 on my 05 and it looks and drives like new.

I have allways said this....

I Love the 07, BUT it will NEVER (even with the v8) make me get rid of my 03....

Todd Z

I agree with Todd. I like the '07's but LOVE my '03. I will probably drive it into the ground. Then I will be ready for the "upgrade". It's a long way off (I hope) and it will be hard for me to give business to my local Ford dealer (they pretty much suck). So I will cross that bridge when I have to. Right now my ST is everything I've wanted.;)

I have an 05 XLT premium so it's still pretty new to me. I can say is that it is the best all around vehile I have owned. A couple months ago, I stopped at a local dealer just for a test drive of a V8 07 ST. Man, what a difference. More power and A LOT better ride as far as smoothness, maneuvering and quiteness. I even liked the interior layout MUCh better than my 05, contrary to some who here who beg to differ. I did this out of curiosity, never intending on buying it (has a few free hours).

In the end...IMO, it was A LOT nicer than my 05 but there is NO WAY it was 1000's of $'s better than my 05.

So here I am with my 05, still enjoying the benfits of a SUT, all the while content. Until a completly different crossover with a bed comes along that is...

I only have the 07 Ltd 4x4 V8, and this is my first ST. I am very happy with it. It is much more comfortable and stable than a 97 Explorer I had. It is very quiet and serves my purposes well (occasional towing, around town 'limo').

I was also able to purchase the ST from a VERY motivated Dealer, so I feel good about the value.

Just my two cents..

I only have the 07 Ltd 4x4 V8, and this is my first ST. I am very happy with it. It is much more comfortable and stable than a 97 Explorer I had. It is very quiet and serves my purposes well (occasional towing, around town 'limo').

I was also able to purchase the ST from a VERY motivated Dealer, so I feel good about the value.

Just my two cents..

IMO there is no substitute for a V8 in this vehicle. Throw in the much stiffer fully boxed frame, independent suspension, 6 speed auto and it's in a whole different class. I also like my 6 yr old Explorer, but it's not a fair comparison to the 07 Trac. /Brad

V8 is useless unless your planning on towing. I love my 02 Trac just the way it is.

(Also love the fact that it's paid for).

Last edited by a moderator:
I love everything about the 07, but my 01, despite it's relative flaws, has been a workhorse. It never lets me down. That makes it tough to fork over the bucks for an 07.

I LOVE my 07 XLT. It's probably my favorite vehicle that I've owned and that list is considerable.

I just wish I had spent the money for the leather interior. I got the light tan seats and after 13k miles the driver seat is starting to show some wear and discoloration from my blue jeans. My wife told me she might get leather put in it for our anniversary, i said we should start with the wet okole seat covers, she pointed out that leather is roughly twice as much as the seat covers, so we might as well do that. I'm undecided.

IMO there is no substitute for a V8 in this vehicle. Throw in the much stiffer fully boxed frame, independent suspension, 6 speed auto and it's in a whole different class. I also like my 6 yr old Explorer, but it's not a fair comparison to the 07 Trac. /Brad

I agree with Brad. The new vehicle is improved in nearly every way, except for the off-road ability. The V8 is a considerable improvement in feel, sound, power, ride and handling, and structural stiffness.

The '07 does put the new trac in a different class. The first generation is not a bad vehicle--I loved my '03 Adrenalin. However, the change from driving the '03 to the '07 is like switching from a Chevy Cavalier to a Pontiac G6. The '07 is much smoother, much more refined.

V8 is useless unless your planning on towing.

Really subjective statement. I live in the mountains/foothills, am 51, and have yet to find a V6 in a "full size" vehicle that doesn't whine and work the tranny (or me) to death. When I lived in the "flatlands", a 4 cylinder was just about enough, but not now.

There is NO substitute for low end torque from a V8, none whatsoever.:rolleyes:

I drove an '07 V8 last year in Louisville, and although I was impressed with the ride the styling was just to blah and mundane, and had no panache. Maybe a second ST will be an '07 or '08.

Ken, I suggest you find someone in your area who has a Gen. 1 ST and take it for a test drive; you will be impressed. Our '01 ST has plenty of power, even before the mods.

Latest posts