opinions and advice needed---wider tires or taller tires?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
When I bought my st it already had the 3 inch body lift tt and shackles and 35x12.5-15 tires. I recently did the 3.5 inch spindle lift and had the rear springs rearched so it has an extra 3+ of lift now. I would like new tires but dont know which way to go. I can get 37x12.5 MTRs for 720 a set. or I can get Parnelli Jones dirt grip in a 36x14.5 for around 1100 for a set or Swamper Irok Radials for around the same 1100. I do all on road driving with some driving in snow & ice during winter. My sport trac is a 2wd with the 4:10 LS. The whole lift and all is purely for show. Truth is my daughters saturn will probably get around better in the snow then my st:rolleyes:

Which would be a better choice? Which would cause the most stress on the front end? BTW my 35s now measure only 33.5 tall but i have no idea how old they are. Taller or wider? Hmmm:huh:

The more your tires differ from the stock configuration, the more difficult it is on both your drivetrain AND your gas mileage. If you're concerned purely about looks, go taller AND wider. ;)

If it's only for show, I'd go taller. Driving around with really wide tires takes a concious mind of your overall width, using taller tires would just let you drive, not worry too much about what you might be hitting with the tires.

Latest posts