Opinions on what's wrong (07 LTD V8 4x4)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collin Lyon

Reaction score
After the dealer reprogrammed the Trac's computer (for a 2nd time), I am still getting the "kick" when I come to a stop. I took it back last week with one of the service guys in the Trac with me to show him the kicking (like getting rear-ended) right upon stopping. Of course, it didn't do it when this guy was there. He checked to see if any hoses were disconnected, and done were. I only have appx 9K miles.

Assuming it is not the computer, are there any suggestions that may cause this? This happens after coming off of any speeds, and it gives 1-2 "kicks" upon stopping, like it is still in 1st or 2nd gear. If this helps -- I've noticed that when stopping going a little down-hill, the kicking does not happen. Maybe hydralic/pressure hoses defective? How about brakes? I'm planning on taking her in this Friday. Any input is appreciated.

This is a common problem on Rangers, I had it on both of mine. The cure is a new aluminum driveshaft from the factory to replace the steel one, there is a TSB on it. First I've heard of this with Sport Tracs though.

Removing the driveshaft and lubricating the slip yoke can help also, it seems that sometimes the factory does not put enough grease on it.

The 4-door Explorers all had a shock absorber on the rear differential for this reason.

The same exact thing happens to my '07 ST. I think it is worse when I am going to an up-hill stop, after letting off the gas. One day it was so bad it sounded like the transmission was completely coming apart from the ST. I haven't taken it in yet, but it does happen to mine as well, sometimes really bad and other times not so bad if at all.

Have them to grease the splines on the driveshaft slip yoke. If that is not it, there may be to much backlash in the rear gears..

Thanks for the replies. Other than this annoying problem, I'm loving my ride.

If there are any other possible solutions, please post them. I'll give the service guy on Friday these posts!

For those with this same problem (Bootsy) -- I'll let you know what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made an appointment for Friday, and talked with the service guy. He said since I was in there last wed or thur, 3 more Tracs have reported similiar problems. He told me that they are looking into this, and hopefully by the time I get it in there, they'll have a solution.

To be continued . . .

Not sure if it's the same, but I had an 01' Ranger that did close to the same thing. I thought the tranny was slipping and then catching. I had the tranny filter and oil changed without effect. My wife takes it to the Dealer for some other stuff (by now I was living with the problem) and the Tech says "I'll put a teflon spacer in the spline end of the driveshaft, cause Ford made them too short on the 4x4's and the shaft is slapping". End of problem, and no charge $. FORD - First On Race Day:D

Interesting, I am having the same problem. When I have passengers in the truck, they also ask me if somebody just hit me in the rear. And as "Bootsy" said, sometimes it is worse the others times.