Opinions wanted about FORD Service

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE442

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Some where way to close to the effen city
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I bought a 2007 V8 4X4 XLT ST a few months ago. I also purchased a FORD extended warranty which I believe doubled the warranty period. The dealer said they would change the oil every 5,000 miles with a FORD synthetic blend for around $22.00 and if I had all service done at the dealership, they'd replace the tires for life. I figured that since I have never owned a new FORD before and never a 4WD that I would let them maintain it for the warranty period so they would hopefully catch any items that were wrong with the mechanicals that are under warrantee.

I have owned many new GM vehicles and did all the oil changes myself (every 3,000 miles with Castrol GTX) and only took them to the dealer for the rare instance where something under warranty needed attention. Should I follow this route with my ST? If I did the oil changes myself, what would be the best oil/filter for my '07(it says to use 5W20 oil)?

I am just not sure what the minimum that is expected by FORD under their warranties? Any opinions or facts will be appreciated.

I also have an issue with the fact that FORD did not put in a tranny dipstick to check out the fluid. How would someone know when it was low and if I changed my fluid/filter, how would I know it was full.

I am also wondering about Todd Z's throttle body and how it would affect the warranty? I'd love the extra mileage and the extra throttle response wouldn't hurt.

So far, I'm 95 % happy with the ST. It is just different from what I'm used to and I have never dealt with FORD or their dealerships before. This website is a really very helpful and I'm glad I discovered it when I did. Lots of good, useful informationhere and everyone is so helpful.

Thanks for all your help!

Gary
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Best oil: Mobil 1 5w20

Best oil filter: Mobil 1

Ford would have to prove that you did not properly maintain your vehicle for you to lose a warranty claim. The onus is on the manufacturer to prove neglect/abuse/etc.

Manufacturer cannot require their brand of parts or supplies to be used unless they provide them free of charge.

Don't try to screw the dealer, and don't let them screw you.

As much as I LOVE my Sport Trac, It will be the last Ford I own. I am not impressed with the service. I'm sure others have had good experiences, but for me, I'm through with them.

I had issues with Ford service too. Don't expect anything to be fixed the first visit. It will take two or three visits to get it fixed, because they either don't have the parts in stock, or they will not be able to duplicate the problem until the vehicle is in very bad shape. If it is more than a simple job with little cost, expect Ford to come up with an excuse that will prevent them from fixing it under warranty.

Ford service has much to be desired. My Sport Trac will be my last Ford vehicle. Mainly because of service issues and reliability .

Iam 56yrs old and never ever had a bad ford product, new or used. The only time I had to go back to the dealer on a warranty, was they had to order the part. That usually took no more than a week.

Oh, and if you use motorcraft syn-blend and motor-craft filters. You will be in good shape. Document the oil and service you do and save your reciepts....

And for those that are such a ford haters. What are you doing here..?

I am just not sure what the minimum that is expected by FORD under their warranties? Any opinions or facts will be appreciated.

Your owners manual will tell you everything you would ever want to know.

I also have an issue with the fact that FORD did not put in a tranny dipstick to check out the fluid. How would someone know when it was low and if I changed my fluid/filter, how would I know it was full.

It is sealed. There is a plug to check your fluid level. Not having a dipstick is becomming more common now a days. I am not happy about it.

Tom

So...if I were going to change my fluid/filter in the tranny, how would I fill it with no tranny dipstick tube?

Gary
:wacko:

Fast Eddie, I'm here because I loved the look of the Sport Trac when they came out, and bought one used a few years ago and love it. I've had some issues with it and am not satisfied with Ford service, So I will not buy another one. However, I keep vehicles for a long time and have no plans to get rid of the it. The people here are great and I can't imagine finding a better pool of knowledge. THATS why I'm here.

What SST said. I used to get my Fords at the dealer down the street from my office. Always got a good deal, never a problem with service because my cars did not NEED repairs. Until that is, I bought a Tempo. :wacko: After a number of visits for assorted maladies it became clear that it was impossible for them to fix anything on the first attempt or two or three. Started going to another dealer a few miles away, no problems.

Latest posts