OT: Deja-vu on the "Interweb"

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Rogers

Reaction score
I love it when I run across something on the interweb that reminds me of raging OT debates from this board.

Remember the whole "Respect has to be earned not freely given" debate?

Or the discussion about "Customer Service" and irrate customers?

Well lookie here, as it seems this guy had more time and energy to say things better than most of us here (and since I agree with his sentiments, I glady share them) ;)

Great article. When I was a store manager for a sporting goods store one customer was so rude to the cashier I told him to get the hell out-of the store. He demanded to see my boss and said sure thing...5 mins later I pointed him over to the two cops, at the entrance of the store, that were waiting to have a little chat with him.

i 100% agree, but a large number of people dont say the good that they were treated by servers or service related jobs. I attempt to do this whenever i can. I also became vocal since a few incidents ago about similar stories of customers trashing a worker.

Its like no one can have a bad day.

Learn to laugh at mistakes...it might help everyone else around you

I had a customer on the phone call me an "Stupid Asshol*" for a domed item that was taking longer than usual to ship from my supplier.

Once I heard that I told him our business is done and he can go buy it elsewhere. I issued him a refund. He tells me he is going to have his lawyer sue me and tell the BBB about my actions.

I told him go right ahead you will look really stupid since I'm giving you a refund. He was pissed because now I wouldn't sell it to him.

When I was the assistant manager of a Convenience store back in the 80s, I threw several people off the premises for being rude to our employees. I almost always was respectful as I told them to leave, but I would make it clear to them I would not allow them to raise their voice or curse at one of our employees.

Many of them would apologize on the spot, and continued to come in for years afterwards. What was funny is when they would get this apprehensive look and ask if they were permanently banned. I never told anyone they could NEVER come back, but then I never had any repeat offenders. The most memorable one was a guy who had bounced a check. We wouldn't let him buy gas (he was on empty) until he paid the bad check.

He was furious! He called the cashier and me every name in the book, and I told him to get his ass out of the store (those words). He asked to speak with the manager. Since our manager had recently quit, I was the manager and told him so. He was SOOO pissed. Three days later he was back with the money for the bad check and also an apology. Over the next couple of years we became friends and we even had a couple of beers together at the local pub.

A lot of the guys and gals were afraid to get in arguments, because they actually relied on the income to support their families, and were afraid of getting fired. I was just working my way through college and could care less about the job, since I still lived at home. We were the only store in a brand new neighborhood, so we had a lot of repeat business. The neighborhood relied on us, especially in the winter, so it was important to keep the family atmosphere in our store. We had video games in the store too, so it was the local teen hangout, and we just couldn't have people cursing out the employees in front of kids.

One thing... ...actually the writer was a woman (I am assuming since they refer to their husband) :)

Yeah, I had my fill of it the other day, didn't blow up at the person or anything, just stepped in and told the guy in front of the cashier that I didn't feel that their treatment of the person was called for... ...similar to the article the person humbly continued their order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, TJR - great link.

I'm thinking the "Customer's always right" thing is 1) A matter of perspective - from the proprietor's perspective, not the customer's - even though, many, uh, high maintenance customers have embraced the concept as their own, and 2) A concept that is losing impact with American business. The customer is always the customer, and you want to make the customer happy, but sometimes you can't, and sometimes you shouldn't even try.

I totally agree with her. I had a similar incidence about a month ago when a lady was being very rude to a cashier girl in a department store. I asked the lady if she was just being a bitch today or was she always a bitch. She left in a huff. I can't stand people that think they are better then others. I knew the poor little girl could not stand up to her for fear of loosing her job but I certainly wasn't going to stand for it.

Just my 2 cents, I agree totally with the writer, people are rude but sometimes waiters and waitresses are rude too...... But be careful who you call bitch or asshole

because some husband my just blindside your ass.... I would not allow anyone to talk to my wife in that manner... Of course my wife would not put me in that situation because she is not that type of person, and if she was I would correct her.... but you just never know who you may be dealing with....

Joseymack

We all remember the PizzaFight video, right, Josey, where the guy talking on his cellphone in the pizza place told his girlfriend he would be a little late as a girl budged the line....chaos insued, and he got a big-time smack down from the girls boyfriend. Last I heard the gal and her boyfriend were BOTH still serving time.

People are just downright rude all the time. My wife has been in a wheelchair for a few weeks while she's pregnant. The people that will rush to cut you off or get ahead of you because you're slower in the wheelchair is astounding. That and everyone looks at you like you're contaminated.