OT: Dodge Nitro

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Hey all, no, im not selling my ST for a Dodge Nitro, but I am considering trading in the wife's Pacifica for the Dodge Nitro R/T (Fully Loaded)... I dont even know if you can get them yet, but if anyone has anything good or bad to say about them, please speak up!

It'll be the most eye-catching mid-size SUV out there. I think it looks great, especiallly the R/T. Numbers aren't bad either, price and performance wise.

I <i>think</i> I saw one on the road today. I saw what looked like a silver Nitro with grey bottom 'cladding', and all I've ever seen of the Nitro is full body-color so it may've been something else.

I've seen adverts for a local Dodge dealer showing the new Nitro on the lot, and they run new ads every other week or so. So chances are they are out on lots, but maybe only the large dealer lots.

Nothing to say about them, as I've no interest in them so I've not done kind of research or looking up on them. Interesting style, that's for sure.

I went to test drive one yesterday...what a sweet machine. I drove the R/T withe the 4.0 eng instead fo the 3.7, very nice! The transmission shifts correctly too! What a deal, possibly bye bye to the trac??

I saw a road test of the Dodge Nitro on TV this past weekend, and I liked it a lot ( I think the name sucks). Very unique aggressive styling, especially the frontend and the wide flared fenders. My biggest dislike about Mopars is their cheap interior plastics, and overall quality. But then I have not purchased any new Chrysler products since 1986. I would hope that Mercedes showed them a little bit about quality. I'm actually liking the new Chrysler 300 as well. I guess that chopped top look is starting to grow on me. :p

They claim the Nitro gets better gas mileage than the typical Mid-sized SUV and the performance was good with both v6's. Even the 3.7 had adaquate power for this size vehicle (about 4000 lbs)

They said prices start in the low $20K's.

...Rich

Isn't it just a new neon? I've looked at them a bit, they seem expensive for what they are. Then again, I'm also cheap. :)

They are not a neon . Its a jeep liberty with a different body same motor and transmission. The{ RTis a different motor 4.0 aluminum with more power I know about the transmission . Test drive on the speed vison channel just drove them this past saterday or sunday and gave them a good reveiw. On another popular web sight did not really care for them. I like the look of the nitro but would only consider the RT if I bought one. I don't think thr RT is out yet at least here in south FL

The R/T has a 4.0L v6 putting approx 255hp... as per thier web site. I like the looks, had a dodge dakota in the past and never had a problem, other than the brakes, but Im sure that was just me ;)

I am 99.9% possitive we are getting one, just a matter of when it would get here because I dont see one locally that has all the options (ALL OF THEM ALMOST) that we want.

Going to be White.

I did notice that the towing capacity is only max of 3500 lbs if equiped with their recommended towing package. Standard axle ratio is 3.21, and I don't see any optional axle ratios available? That probably where they are claiming better gas mileage than a typical Mid-sized SUV. Also, not many colors to choose from.

The good news is that a well equiped Nitro R/T 4X2 with the 20" wheels, Sirius Radio, and most to the goodies is only $26K which includes $600 destination charges.

I'm skeptical since their spec's did not have all the info like EPA mileage ratings, HP figures for both engines, etc.

...Rich