OT HELP: Honda Pilot Oil Filter (Updated)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Piroth

Reaction score
Sorry for the OT question, but finding a decent Honda message board is a joke. Anyway, here it is:

I just bought an STP oil filter for my wife's 06 Honda Pilot, and while it was the only filter listed in the guide, it seems to be about 3/4-1" shorter than the OEM filter it's replacing. Is this a problem?

I haven't put it on yet, but the diameter and thread seem to be the same. I'm just leary of using a filter that's not identical in size to the original one.

Please respond as soon as you can, I'm in the middle of the oil change.

Thanks, as always.

EDIT: Scroll down. The conclusion of the sage awaits below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does she like her Pilot? Any pros or cons?

My wife is looking at one today.

BTW: I'd use the filter if it screws on OK and otherwise looks identical on the "business end".

It's been great so far. We've only had it for a couple of months, but it rides great, has tons of useful features (fold-flat 3rd Row seats, XM radio, passenger-view mirror for keeping an eye on the kid(s), etc.) and all of the reviews on it say it should be a reliable vehicle for a long time.

It's a little "soft" for me, meaning that it rides like a minivan, big sedan, etc. Acceleration, braking and all other drive functions are great, it's just kind of boring drive. That's why I like the ST's more trucklike ride.

Now, if I can just get this damn filter issue figured out...anyone? :huh:

STP filters are a little shorter for some reason. I just did an oil change on my son's Kia Sportage this morning. The STP filter that was on there was about 3/4" shorter then the Purolator filter I replaced it with. Don't think it makes a difference. Don't know if a longer filter is any better. Guess as long as you change it within 3 to 4 K then it won't matter.

I've always considered STP filters to be "bottom of the barrel" as far as quality (on par with Fram). If I were you, I would use Mobil 1 filters and Mobil 1 oil, and change it every 10k.

The only thing about the longer filter is that you would have a bit more oil capacity to play with. With a shorter filter, keep in mind you may want to change oil every 3000 miles rather than 5000 miles. The shorter filter will get dirty quicker.

Y'all have a good one

Bob

Take it back and go get a Honda oil filter. It may not make any difference, but it's cheap insurance and won't void your warranty if anything related happens.

Ok, here's the end result of my oil filter caper- I'm going to toss the STP filter. (And the one I bought for my Trac as well.They were both free with an oil purchase from AutoZone.)

I'm sure this isn't a scientific way to evaluate a filter, but the STP one just looked like a piece of junk. (It was the first time I'd bought the brand.) It was short, the holes in the base looked like they'd been punched with an ice pick and it didn't appear to have any sort of drain-back valve to stop oil from collecting in the filter. You can see the difference between it and the Bosch filter I bought instead in these shots.[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Good call. With that much of a difference in size, I would not trust it. It looks like they cut it down to fit multiple applications.

I have always considered the oil filter to be too inexpensive not to buy a quality one as cheap insurance. I've seen plastic ones, and even metal ones you could squeeze with one hand. Usually these are found from quicky lubes, and I'm not a fan of burst, failed, or clogged oil filters.

For the Trac, it's either a PureOne or Motorcraft filter. Both have excellent ratings, and are of excellent quality. I once read that the Motorcraft filter is actually a PureOne filter.