OT Website costs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian K 2

Reaction score
Just did a search for some website builders. I am expecting answers to be all over the board. My wife needs a professional site built with maybe 5-7 pages, easy for her blog post feature, site hit counter, a couple of calculators, 8-10 links, 10-12 photos, host and maintenance fees. I would love to learn and maintain just don't have the time right now. She already has her site name picked and it says "under construction". Our friend is taking forever to complete the site. How much should it cost? Thanks

Shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks. I do some minor website design and typically charge $25 hr. (not trying to advertise just giving you an idea) my buddy who designed for a company said his company billed him out at $150 hr.

My girlfriend was a web-designer, she was charging $200 minimum and $25 an hour. With what you described I think you are looking at around $300-$400 or so dollars. It all depends on how much design time is needed. Some clients want changes and then want changes to changes so things add up. I attached a link to her site below. I am not advertising as she was killed last December, just giving you an idea. Make sure you look at some work they do and that you like their style.

Sintec-free templates all over the web. Do a search in Google.

About 300-400.00 for the design. Pay more if you want to be in the search engines.

Find a designer that works for themselves or even better at their house. Their over head is much lower than a design firm with lots of employees.

Billing at 150.00 + is typical for those guys especially if Flash is involved or an eCommerce site.

5-7 pages shouldn't take more than week to complete.

Lol thanks, what I meant is, does he have a link to the site that I could look at to see the build of the site.

Would something like this work BK? This is my car clubs website that I run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow never expected so many response so quickly. Her site is blank except for the under construction thing. (We) I got suckered into this thing, need a builder that is easy to talk to. The monthly changes to be made could be done by her (I would hope) Its a real estate site. She has some other real estate sites in her favs to give more of an idea of what she wants. I'll post back this weekend after I get her favs. I'm at work right now. I was thinking 3-400 bucks, last quote we got was 695.00 :eek:, but its hard for me to accurately say what exactly she wants. Again I got suckered into helping! :angry::lol: Thanks for the replies...

I used to do website design. I charged $400 min and $150 and hour.

What you described sounds like a $400-600 site. I'm assuming the calculators you mention are links to calculators. If you get involved in php programming and the like, you can expect a much higher bill. For example, one of the sites I completed a few years ago appraised at $30,000.

Anyway, a couple of hints:

Look at the person's work before committing. Website builders typically keep the same theme throughout their sites.

Colleges all have programs that will create your site for free. All you have to do is sign up. Of course, the sites take a couple of months for the student to complete. These are generally very well made sites.

Simple is usually better. At least it is easier for you to make changes in the future.

Don't let your website designer sign you up for hosting. At least if they do, make sure you have complete control over the domain name and site hosting directly.

Good Luck!

My daughter-in-law does this kind of thing from home. Not sure what she charges (I get family discounts :) ). I'm not sure if she has done real estate sites. Let me know if you want to get in touch with her.

Yes there are thousands of free templates all over the place, but I recommend paying $25 to $50 for a professional template to meet your needs, then specialize it yourself or pay someone else to.

I have used these in the past...look at their online catalog for ideas:

also check out homwstead.com for 250.00 a year or less...

includes site template and an designer application.

They can also do custom work

Latest posts