Outgrowing the ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis Santos

Reaction score
Well, I bought my ST in July of 2000. Then a dog came followed by 2 boys. I feel that we are a little cramped in the ST. I am thinking of a used Expedition (I love Fords!).

I received an offer from CarMAx for 8k and I can get a used (2-3yr) Expedition from around 20k.

I love the ST but after driving the Expedition I noticed how underpowered it is.

Has anyone else "outgrown" their ST? What do you trade for? Any suggestions?

Still have the ST, but we picked up a Honda Pilot as my wife's car when we had our son. It has a third row of seats for when we occasionally need to take more than the three of us (plus our dog) around, and the seats fold completely flat so we have a good amount of cargo space the rest of the time. (With the 3rd row up, the cargo space goes away almost entirely.)

It rides great, has plenty of power and won't break the bank with either its purchase price or fuel economy. However, you may want something a little larger since you've got one more in the family than I do.

It's amazing how much stuff you have to haul for kids so small, isn't it?

ive had my 04 adrenlin since 04 and its ok. i like it, but still would love to upgrade to a 4x4 diesel excursion. if they werent so hard to find and for the fact they r not produced anymore, id so go for the upgrade. but i dont have kids or the wife deal goin on, so i guess ill stick with the ST for long time. I kinda have this deal when purchasing a vehicle, i seem to never get rid, no matter whats wrong with it. guess its the love for it being a FORD.

With my business, I can fill the Trac up pretty quick with signs, boards, tools, etc. I can't use a locking tonneau cover because of the size of the signs. So, what can go in the cab can but other wise it goes in the bed. And, you can't leave any of it inside overnight as I don't want to risk loosing such items. I need a bigger truck as well with a bed rack.

If you REALLY love your ST and are finding it hard to part with it, you could always invest a few $$'s into carpeting the bed and throwing a topper on it. Kids go in the back seat, dog goes in the carpeted and covered bed. Open the back window and viola, everyone's happy. I assume you have no payments anymore and if you like it that way, for the money, it may be worth the adjustment.

Best of luck!

Working on it. I have a 2 year old, a 6 month old lab-mix puppy and another child in the oven. The two car seats will soon take up more than 1/2 of the back seat. Thank God for tonneaus and kennels....

I'd go with an Expedition or regular Explorerif you want to, or can, keep the dog inside. The only way I could take all five of us (we have a 75 lb. greyhound) in the Trac is if I got a cap for the bed and then I'm concerned about carbon monoxide getting in the bed area. Then think about getting a utility trailer or one of those racks that slide into the hitch in lieu of a pickup bed.