Outside Temp -1 (or 29) out today... My Trac LIES!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Whitman

Reaction score
So explain this to me... I get in the truck and It says ICE on the Display and its snowing out.... I am in Toronto and it was around -1 today which I think is 29 for the rest of the world hahaha....

But as I start driving.... The temp starts to rise its now +3 oh wait +7 and still snowing... Now I am thinking I am drunk... holy crap it hits +14... I call BS!

I stop and get gas and its back to -1....

This is now the 4th time this has happened in the last 3 weeks. Somedays its close to being right and than there is a day I think I need to get out and put on shorts...

ANy ideas???

Cheers

Whit

Look at the sensor under the hood in front of the radiator, see if it has dirt or any thing on it, Clean it if you can. ALSO you will get some weird temps when driving because some under hood air will mess with the sensor..

Todd Z

It can be in the 40's (farenheit) and still snow. It all has to do with what is going on upstairs. The "warm" air you get on thermometers could only ba a shallow layer close to the ground...

As for the sensor... Try what Todd says. The owners manual says that in order to get a good reading, you must travel like 30 miles at at leat 30 miles an hour, or something to that effect...

Where exactly is the sensor?? I will have to check it...

I guess another question if this temp seems to be going up... Might the Engine compartment be getting hotter than normal??? As my TEMP Gauge is showing normal?

Just wondering?

As for how far I was driving.... I was on the road for 140km on the Highway last night.

Cheers

Whit

If you are moving slow in heavy traffic (due to snow), you may be getting heat from the engine as well as some warmer air from the traffic around you. As previously stated you need to be moving in open air so that only outside air is hitting the temp sensor located behind the grill and in front of the radiator (drivers side)

...Rich

To go from Celsius to Fahrenheit you do the following.

Celsius * 1.8 Plus 32.

So in the case of your negative 1, here is the math.

-1 *1.8 + 32 = 30.2 degrees Fahrenheit.

My temp readout in the ST is always right on, at least anytime I have paid attention to it. I recently had to replace the temp sensor in my wifes car as her temp was all over the place. It would work for a while then go crazy. I not sure about the one of the ST but on her car it was located as decribed above and looked kind of like a Christmas light bulb (like on a string of lights). It was very cheap to replace.

if you find it needs cleaned, there is a way to reset that temp gauge, ...sorry I don't know how, ..but a ford tech can tell ya ....

To go from Celsius to Fahrenheit you do the following.

Celsius * 1.8 Plus 32.

So in the case of your negative 1, here is the math.

-1 *1.8 + 32 = 30.2 degrees Fahrenheit.

It is just a lot easier to push the little button and let it do the conversion... ;)

My temp readings are consistantly 4 degrees high. I've compared it with another electronic themometer that I know is correct. Not worth the $40 or so to get a new one, so I just subtract 4 from whatever I'm seeing on the display...