Outside Temp Reading

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Whitman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My outside temp is always wrong on cold days... It reads warmer by 10 to 15 degrees every day... on Hot days its actually correct. So I am not sure if its the sensor thats broken or could it be something else? Might it be registering radiant heat in the engine bay on Colder days?

Cheers

Whit

Last edited by a moderator:
My '03 was generally within 2-3 degrees. My '04 doesn't have an overhead temp/compass display so I can't really compare well.

Well it gets worse the colder outside it gets.... Last night it was -8 and it was telling me it was +13... Thats way off...It used to be pretty good... But has all of sudden become very wrong most of the time.

Whit

I think the first thing would be to make sure the sensor hasn't a buildup of dirt or crud on it. I think that would allow the true ambient temp air flow to strike the sensor and give it a chance to be as accurate as it can be.

Bob, the probe on my '04 is a teflon coated thermistor. Thermistors work or they dont. Never dirty and more acurate than thermocouples. The problem is in the reciever, calibration. Most likley bangledesh by 10 yr olds.

Again thanks for the link. First that must be a nice camera to take pics of something that small. Wow, the link made the thing look larger than it was and to be able to soldier that thing is pretty good. I found it was the issue with mine and I pushed on it with my finger and it lit up. I went around town to get someone to soldier and no one could do it. SO, I rigged it by drilling a hole in the little cover plate over the 510 bad whatever it is and then screwed a screw through it until the display came on. I then ground the little screw to the right height and put just enough pressure on it to keep it lit. I am interested in how long it will work. I know I am crazy so just keep it to yourself :grin::grin:

Tony. what issue(s) are you having with your outside temperature gauge? Display out, wrong temp, etc. Please give a general description of the problem you're having. Googled "outside temperature" on EF, and hopefully there will be a useful link. If not, please reply back.
https://www.google.com/search?q=exp...ome..69i57.21468j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

PLEASE take 10 seconds to complete your THREE vehicle details. (Generation, drive, engine) Thanks!
https://www.sporttrac.org/account/join-user-groups

Latest posts