Over Drive Button

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else have an unresponsive Over Drive Button problem?
You've got a 2004 ExST Adrenaline with 5r55 Transmission.
OD toggle Button in shift lever & associated InstrumentCluster lamps are known failure items.
Typically 2WireCable thru lever then sharp bend into SteeringColumn get chaffed\shorted
or Button itself gets dirty or wears out. Same issue on my 2001 a year or so ago.
Can replace Lever+Button+Cable assembly, or do as I did:
~ Removed Lever+Button+Cable from SteeringColumn,
~ Cleaned Button by flushing Tube & Bezel with RubbingAlcohol then let dry, small squirt of Silicone lube.
~ Reinsulated+Reinforced Cable with HeatShrink+ElectricalTape+ZipTies..
~ ReInstalled, working good for Year+ now.
This is a good time to Clean+Tighten InstrumentCluster CircuitBoard+LampSockets & replace the Bulbs.
Your Cluster is the newer HEC version compared to the 2001~2003, so a little different.
Taking SteeringColumn & Dash apart is awkward\tedious but not difficult, just need to work patiently.
Hope this helps.

More info at
https://www.google.ca/search?q=ford...W1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=5YIsYL7uNs6RsQWYgJeQAghttps://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Electrical_SteeringColumnhttps://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Electrical_DashLamps

Last edited:
I did order a new button but couldn't find any information on how to replace it. Just see the Button off the shifter.
I'll look into your articles and give it a try as as you outlined you did to fix yours as well.

Thanks for your time and help. Very much appreciated!

I did order a new button but couldn't find any information on how to replace it. Just see the Button off the shifter.
I'll look into your articles and give it a try as as you outlined you did to fix yours as well.
Thanks for your time and help. Very much appreciated!
If you buy a new part, recommend the entire Button+Lever+Boot+Cable assembly, not just the button.
Button is difficult to remove from the lever without damaging it
& you've got to take the entire assembly out either way.
Part# & search link for assembly above.
Good luck & update this thread when you get it fixed.

Thanks again and I'll update, winter's keeping me from jumping into the deeper problems. Even in the garage working in the high 30's is just a cold pain in fingers.

All these problems accumulated within a weeks time.
Compass/Temp off and on.
Passengers seat heater.
Over Drive button
Auto Door locks
Reverse lights not working. Not posted yet...
My STA is telling me something???

I'll get her fixed up and working again like new again.
Thankfully my stereo still cranks out great music.

Can relate; the older I get, the less I tolerate cold.
Garage stays above 45f thru winter, so that helps.

Last edited:
Tyler,

I had the same problem with my 2003 St in 2018. Checked the button and checked the Torque Converter Control but both were OK. Ended up being a transmission problem and had to have the transmission rebuilt for about $2000.

For your Compass/temp not staying on all of the time, I have replaced the gauge twice on mine. Both times I got one out of the junk yard for $6 instead of the $149 the dealer wants. You need a small torx driver to remove the old one and install the new one. Not to hard to install once you practice removing a couple in the junk yard.

For your Compass/temp not staying on all of the time, I have replaced the gauge twice on mine. Both times I got one out of the junk yard for $6 instead of the $149 the dealer wants. You need a small torx driver to remove the old one and install the new one. Not to hard to install once you practice removing a couple in the junk yard.
Im a fast learner lol

Now for the$54,000 question

I just recently moved here and now the search for a Actual junk yard.
Washington state isn't known for its junkyards like California and its Pick a Parts Junk Yards.
Man I miss them.

Thanks as always for reading and everyones advice.

Tyler,

I had the same problem with my 2003 St in 2018. Checked the button and checked the Torque Converter Control but both were OK. Ended up being a transmission problem and had to have the transmission rebuilt for about $2000.
Holly moley. I but ST are worth it.

The OD still works on mine. I get 4 shifts still. Hope I can fix it or its going to be like that until I win the lottery. Best I can do...

Latest posts