Overhead Therm/Sunroof

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim McGrath 2

Reaction score
So, I have two questions about my Black 2004 ST XLT:

1) My overhead thermometer/compass just went out. Does that sound like a blown fuse? I doubt the screen would fail. Does anyone know where I can get a fuse diagram for the ST? I've lost the one that came with the manual.

2) I've been having sunroof problems for months now. I love to ride with it down, but the switch is faulty. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In fact, most of the time I can roll it down, but not roll it back up. I've been caught in raining situations where I had to cover my ST with a tarp. Does that sound like the switch malfunctioning, or a bigger problem?

Thanks for all your help.

Tim,

Manual see link for a FREE PDF manual....

The compass does fail, many members fixed by re soldering things inside, Some times its a connection, but unfortunately the common reason is a unit faliure...

You have to remove the switch and test it for the sunroof, a test light or ohm meter and see if it is an intermittent connection or the motor for the roof.....

Also have to check all the connections under the headliner to see if it is that.

Todd Z

The compass/temp display went out on my overhead console and I was able to restore it using the procedure at the attached link. While you have the console down you can check the sunroof switch. Good luck!

Easy access, pull the trim back near the console. Grasp the console along the sides and slightly forward, then pull down down firmly. There are two pinch clips at the front edge.

[Broken External Image]:

Below:

The console is shown turned 180 degrees from the installed position.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
The battery is for the garage door opener control next to it. The open/close button can be seen on the black portion of the console in the upper picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might just try hitting the "Mode" button a few times. It cycles to temp from "C" to "F" and also adjust your compass for the correct logitude, etc. One of the setting is "Off" and nothing is displayed. That happened to my 2003 Sport Trac and I thoght it had died and planned on taking back to the dealer to fix it under warranty. About two weeks later, I decided to tinker with it and just pressed the "Mode" button, and the darn thing just came on. Then I cycled through the various settings and found that there was an "Off" setting. I don't know how it got turned off, but it worked fine after I turned it back on..:grin:

...Rich

Latest posts